Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
This creamy mushroom and potato soup is typical in the Czech Republic, although there are numerous recipes for it. This thick white broth is made with cream, potatoes, mushrooms and dill, and it is really warming and delicious. You will need dried mushrooms for this, and you can either buy them or dry your own. To dry your own, slice fresh mushrooms and lay them on a rack in a warm oven until they look dried. Then keep them in a plastic container until required. You can use fresh mushrooms in this soup instead of course. Dried ones just keep longer so a lot of people like to have them in their pantry.
Some Czech potato soup recipes call for marjoram or chives, but this one uses dill for a subtle flavor. It is amazing what a nice soup you can make simply with potatoes, mushrooms, and herbs. The cream finishes it off to perfection of course, but a lot of people are still surprised how easy potato soup recipes are to prepare.
The mushrooms add a nice earthy flavor to this potato soup recipe and you can use cremini mushrooms, brown mushrooms, or any other kind. You could even use Asian mushrooms if you want a fusion dish. Different mushrooms have different flavors and textures but pretty much any kind would work here, so do not be afraid to experiment.
- 1 ¾ pints water
- ½ lb potatoes
- 2 oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- ¾ cup whipped cream
- 1 oz dried mushrooms
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- Salt, pepper, vinegar, and caraway seeds, to taste
- Soak the dried mushrooms for at least an hour beforehand.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them roughly.
- Put them in a pot and cover with water.
- Add the mushrooms and the water they were soaked in.
- Add a pinch each of salt, pepper, and caraway seeds.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Pour in the cream and use the cornstarch mixture to thicken the soup.
- Season with vinegar, and add some butter and dill.
- Boil the eggs for 15 minutes, then peel and quarter them.
- Serve the soup with the eggs.
This thick, rich, and creamy Czech potato soup recipe features dill and eggs, as well as cream and other flavorful ingredients. When the weather is cold it can be nice to make comfort food like this. The eggs add texture to the soup as well as protein, and you can serve this with some bread if you want. Potatoes are the main ingredient in this soup, so it is quite economical to prepare and it makes a great lunch or supper for the whole family. Not everyone likes the thought of eggs in their potato soup recipe and if that sounds like you then feel free to omit them and just serve the potato soup without any eggs in it.
Leave a Reply
- Caribbean Chicken Soup Recipe October 22, 2014
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Barley October 21, 2014
- Colorful Chicken and Bell Pepper Soup October 20, 2014
- Chicken and White Bean Soup October 16, 2014
- Aromatic Hot and Sour Chicken Soup October 15, 2014
- Cajun Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Sausage October 14, 2014
- Chunky Chicken and Couscous Soup October 13, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (82672 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53588 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47898 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (32527 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20337 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19072 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18730 Views)
- Stew Articles (13823 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12825 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (12117 Views)