Potato Soup with Ham and Vegetables
There is nothing quite like a delicious potato chowder on a cold winter day, as the rich potato soup with ham and vegetables is almost like a stew that will fill your belly and warm you to your core. Potato chowder is a simple soup that calls for a number of incredibly common ingredients, and you will find that making potato chowder is a matter of simply putting all of your favorite ingredients in a pot and letting them boil. The result: a delightful soup that is guaranteed to warm you and make you feel content and full once your bowl is empty.
The following recipe is a delicious mix of ham, corn, and potatoes made into a chowder soup that is guaranteed to be an instant hit with your family. Butter and milk provide the rich flavor of the soup, and a number of different types of pepper are added, included green, black, and cayenne pepper. Flour is added to make the soup thick and rich and chicken broth provides the main flavor for the soup. By letting the potatoes boil for a long time in the milk and butter, you obtain a thick soup that your family simply will not be able to get enough of.
One of the things that has made chowder such a popular soup throughout the history of the U.S. is the fact that it is so easy to make. Nearly every farm has had butter and milk readily available, and potatoes are one of the most commonly grown vegetables in the country. Thanks to the ease with which you can find the ingredients, this soup is actually one of the cheapest that you can make. It can basically be left to boil on its own, and you only need to pull out the ladle and serve the soup once it is ready. All in all, this recipe provides you with a simple yet delicious soup.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 can of yellow sweet corn
- ⅓ pound of ham
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 24 ounces of chicken broth
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To begin, place the butter in a soup pot and place it on the fire to melt. As the butter is melting, chop the ham into small pieces, and fry it in the butter until crispy. Remove the ham from the butter, letting the oil drain back into the pot to leave the flavor intact.
- Dice the onions, garlic, and green peppers. Add them into the soup pot to fry until golden, adding a pinch of pepper and salt as desired.
- Add the flour to the pot, mixing it well in with the vegetables. Add the chicken broth to the pot, along with the peeled and chopped potatoes.
- Place a lid on the pot and let the soup come to a boil. Once you have achieved a rolling boil, turn down the heat to let the soup simmer.
- Open the can of corn, drain the liquid, and add the corn to the mix. Let the soup simmer for a few minutes longer, and add in the milk.
- Add a pinch of thyme, parsley, and cayenne pepper, and make sure to add plenty of black pepper for flavor.
- Serve into individual bowls, and sprinkle the fried ham on top to add the delicious flavor to the soup.
The beauty of this soup is that it is such a simple thing to cook up, but it is incredibly delicious. You will find that preparing the simple corn, ham, and potato chowder is a thing of beauty that will make quite the decorative dish for your dinner. You will find that this soup is best when served with bread, crackers, or anything dry that will soak up the creamy flavor of the soup. Adding a few drops of your favorite hot sauce will make this soup a delicious, slightly spicy one that is guaranteed to impress. Even if you eat it alone, it will be a great way to end a cold day with a warming meal.
Leave a Reply
- Lemon and Bean Soup with Rosemary November 18, 2015
- Crockpot Irish Lamb and Barley Stew November 17, 2015
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon November 16, 2015
- Winter Vegetable Orzo Soup November 15, 2015
- Gourmet Strawberry Gazpacho November 14, 2015
- Crockpot Italian Tomato Soup with Pasta November 13, 2015
- Mint and Cucumber Soup November 12, 2015
- Unusual Parsley Soup with Potatoes November 11, 2015
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup November 10, 2015
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (194946 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (87756 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54373 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (51408 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (39523 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (27124 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (25605 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (21787 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19603 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (19561 Views)