Chunky Chicken and Couscous Soup
This delicious chicken soup is made with chicken thighs, vegetables and couscous. Couscous is made with finely ground wheat flour coated semolina wheat. Quick-cooking couscous is usually used and it just needs to be added to boiling water for a few minutes. It soaks up the water and swells up. Traditional couscous has a much longer cooking time and is normally steamed.
Couscous can be eaten alone, added to soups and stews or used to make side dishes or salad recipes. It is especially popular in France, Madeira, Spain, Sicily and West Africa. Couscous is also eaten in Cyprus, Greece and some parts of the Middle East. In the following recipe for chicken soup, the couscous adds bulk and body and is a flavorful alternative to rice, noodles or pasta.
The flavorings in this soup are parsley, cumin, cayenne and tomato puree, giving this chicken soup recipe a subtle spicy flavor, reminiscent of the Middle East. This soup can be served hot or warm and it is a nice soup for the spring or summer when you want lighter flavors but still fancy something warming and filling. If you love chicken soup but you are in the mood for a change from the delicate, creamy chicken soups you usually have, or the chicken noodle soups you regularly made during the chilly months, consider this Middle Eastern inspired chicken soup with couscous recipe because it is deliciously different and makes a change from other chicken soup recipes. Besides, it is very simple to prepare. You can get the ingredients easily and the soup is easy to make, another reason to choose this recipe for chicken soup over others.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup couscous
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1¾ teaspoons salt
- ½ zucchini
- 1 sliced carrot
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into ¾ inch cubes.
- Cut the chicken into ¼ inch by 1½ inch strips.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 4 pieces, then into 1 inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a big pot over a medium heat, then add the onion.
- Cook it for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Turn the heat up and add the cumin, salt, chicken, pepper and cayenne.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the tomato paste, zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, broth, and water.
- Bring the chicken soup to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer it, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are soft.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the couscous and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Let the soup stand, with the lid on, for 2 minutes.
- Add the parsley, stir and serve.
You can see from the photo that this is a very nice looking chicken soup recipe. If you enjoy making chicken noodle soup and chicken soup with other grains in, why not give this delicious chicken and couscous soup a try? The flavor is aromatic and fragrant and the sweet potato and zucchini are unusual and really tasty in it. The spices are good without being overpowering and the couscous makes a welcome change from noodles or rice. This is a satisfying soup which makes a great dinner if you are not too hungry or a soothing supper if you fancy something delicately flavored and hot.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358875 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195563 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90952 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52607 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41072 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29449 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23575 Views)