Homemade Pumpkin Soup Recipe in a Pumpkin Soup Tureen
If you have tasted a store bought pumpkin soup, make a canned pumpkin soup recipe or taken other short cuts to get the flavor of this tasty dish, you are going to love the following recipe because everything is made from scratch. There are no canned pumpkin purees or canned soups in this recipe. There really is a world of difference between making recipes for creamy pumpkin soups with fresh ingredients and taking short cuts and the following recipe is one of the very best pumpkin soups you can make.
The Tastiest Pumpkin Soup Ingredients
This mouthwatering homemade pumpkin soup is created with the finest, freshest ingredients including fresh pumpkin, juicy apple, onion, sage, butter and more. On top or on the side you can serve home baked croutons for mouthwatering flavor and crunch. Feel free to sprinkle some herbs or spices over the croutons before baking them. Pretty much anything you fancy adds to the flavor and you can use ginger and nutmeg to complement the pumpkin or dried parsley or sage for a herby taste.
A hint of sage, curry powder, and nutmeg is enough to add subtle flavoring to this pumpkin soup recipe without overpowering the pumpkin flavor. The apple adds sweetness and, if you like, you could also add some sweet potato or yam. This pumpkin soup is pureed for a creamy, velvety finish and the topping is a classic dollop of cream and some fresh parsley.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 pints low salt chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 lb cubed fresh pumpkin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup peeled, chopped sweet cooking apple
- ¾ tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 4 thick slices bread
- 4 sprigs parsley, for garnish
- Heavy cream, for garnish
- Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over a medium heat and sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Add the curry powder, sage, and nutmeg and cook for half a minute. Stir in the flour and cook for another half a minute.
- Add the tomato paste, broth, and salt. Stir the pumpkin soup well with a whisk.
- Stir in the apple and pumpkin and bring the soup to a boil Cover, turn down the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Stir the soup occasionally.
- Use the rest of the butter to butter the bread on one side, and then cut it into ½ inch cubes. Spread the croutons on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until dry and crisp.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth, then return it to the Dutch oven and add the milk.
- Cook until everything is hot, and then serve the pumpkin soup in 4 individual soup bowls, garnished with the cream, parsley, and croutons.
You can see how serving pumpkin soup in a pumpkin tureen gives it plenty of charm. This tasty soup blends a variety of fresh ingredients with spices and seasonings, and it is finished off with crunchy croutons, heavy cream and parsley sprigs as a garnish. This is an appealing soup which kids and adults will love, and it is a nice bright orange color, which makes it look even more tempting. Enjoy the flavorful soup for lunch or dinner, perhaps even as an appetizer before the main dish if you serve it in smaller portions.
One Response to Homemade Pumpkin Soup Recipe in a Pumpkin Soup Tureen
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195295 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (89350 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54520 Views)
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (52429 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52024 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40658 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (40309 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (28288 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26038 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23083 Views)