Pumpkin Soup Chinese Recipe
Chinese soup is easy to digest and very tasty. Chinese soup comes in three forms, which are Tang, Geng and Zhou. Tang is thin and salty. Geng uses cornstarch for a thicker soup and often contains corn kernels. Zhou soup contains rice. The Southern Chinese eat soup before every meal because they believe it nourishes the spleen and stomach. Chinese chefs favor garlic, scallion, ginger, star anise and Chinese pepper in their soup recipes.
Other common soup ingredients are mushrooms, chicken, pork, Chinese cabbage and tofu. This pumpkin soup Chinese recipe includes green onions, turmeric, milk, parsley and of course pumpkin for a creamy, bright orange-colored soup. If you already like pumpkin soup but you usually make the Western version which often includes cream and sometimes sugar or another kind of sweetener, try this Chinese take on the dish and compare the difference.
You can use canned pumpkin for this unless it is the season for fresh pumpkins. If you are using fresh ones, peel and roast them until tender, then puree and proceed with the recipe. Green onions, ginger, turmeric and butter are also used in this recipe, and the finished soup is served with chives or parsley, to add both an aromatic twist and also a splash of color. Garnishes can be eaten, at least herb ones can, but many people just view them as decoration and leave them, so treat your garnish as food or as a decoration as you prefer. This is a tasty, aromatic soup which should appeal to everyone in the family. The slightly sweet flavor it offers from the pumpkin is so good, and this makes a nice lunch served with shrimp crackers or bread.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ quart chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Fresh parsley or chives, to garnish
- Sauté the onions in the butter until they are soft.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Blend the spices and flour with 2½ tablespoons of the milk.
- Stir in the pumpkin mixture.
- Add the rest of the milk.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring all the time, until the soup thickens.
- Don't let it boil.
- Mix in the chicken broth and heat until almost boiling.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley or chives.
This creamy soup is perhaps not what you would consider when thinking about Chinese soups, at least typical ones, but consider how delicious it sounds. The pumpkin pairs so well with the green onion, broth, turmeric, ginger, and other ingredients, to bring you the most amazing soup. This makes a change from typical Western pumpkin soup recipes, and you can use canned pumpkin instead of the fresh kind to save time. Make this from scratch in half an hour and serve with prawn crackers or bread if you prefer, either for lunch or for a light dinner.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358065 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)