Best Ever Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk and Vegetables
Pumpkin does not have a strong flavor so adding plenty of spices really livens it up. Lemon juice for acid and sugar for some sweetness finishes this pumpkin soup recipe perfectly. This is definitely one of the best ever pumpkin soup recipes. A dash of balsamic vinegar adds a little more sweetness and acidity and this is a very flavorful and nicely balanced soup.
Don’t be put off by the extensive ingredient list because this soup is really good and well worth making whenever you fancy a delicious treat. Check your cupboards because you will already have most of the ingredients to hand, and will only need to buy a few of them. You can serve this pumpkin soup with a dollop of sour cream, some chopped chives and your choice of bacon bits or sautéed sausage pieces for flavor. The toppings are up to you completely and you can omit all of them if you prefer or just use your favorite toppings. The best ever pumpkin soup recipe deserves the best ever toppings too.
This is a very nutritious soup as well as a flavorful one because it contains plenty of vegetables and nothing too sweet or fatty. If you enjoy vegetable soups you are sure to love the rich flavor of this pumpkin soup recipe. The coconut milk almost gives it a Thai flavor and adds a lot of creaminess. If you usually make the same pumpkin soup, try this one for a change. You will still get to enjoy that classic, sweet pumpkin taste that you know and love, but the other ingredients make this a deliciously different flavor experience for the whole family to savor.
- 2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup half and half
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 4 cups water with 2 bouillon cubes (or 4 cups broth)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons allspice
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons sour cream, to garnish
- 3 tablespoon bacon bits or sautéed sausage pieces, to garnish
- Handful chopped chives, to garnish
- Sauté the onion in the butter, in a big, heavy bottomed pot, for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and a little salt.
- Sauté for 10 minutes more.
- Add the bay leaf and garlic, as well as half the cumin, allspice and curry powder.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the water and bouillon cube.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, cover it and cook for 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return it to the pot and add the coconut and mashed pumpkin.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and add the sugar and the rest of the spices.
- Add enough half and half to make the soup the right consistency.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- Adjust the other seasonings if necessary.
- Serve with the sour cream, sautéed sausage or bacon bits, and a few chopped chives on top.
Pumpkin soup is always good, but try this recipe if you fancy a brand new flavor experience from your soup. The exquisite taste of this is sure to impress your palate because there are so many flavors, all mellow and harmonious, and everything goes together beautifully. Pumpkin soup is never difficult to make, and this recipe is quite easy despite the fact you need a fair few ingredients to make it. The photo shows the kind of results you can expect, and the cream, bacon and/or sausage on top is a nice idea because these garnishes complement the sweet pumpkin taste.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357440 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)