Spiced Canned Pumpkin Soup Recipe with a Cream Cheese Swirl
This is a full flavored canned pumpkin soup recipe which is slightly sweetened with a bit of dark sugar and spiced up a bit with the addition of cumin, nutmeg and chili powder. The added cream cheese and cilantro topping makes it a special pumpkin soup recipe and the blend of sweetness and savory flavors is perfect. This pumpkin soup recipe is gently sweetened and spiced rather than relying too much on added sweet or savory flavors.
You can make this pumpkin soup up to a day ahead if you like. If so, simply let it cool then cover and refrigerate it without the cilantro or cream cheese topping. Reheat the soup the following day over a medium low heat, stirring it occasionally. Don’t let it boil. This is true for many different recipes for creamy pumpkin soups, as long as you leave off the garnish until you are ready to serve them.
If you are not keen on cream cheese, you could use a handful of grated cheese as a garnish instead of the cream cheese swirl. Any kind of cheese is nice with a pumpkin soup recipe. Perhaps you could try a mature or vintage Cheddar for a nice sharpness or Monterrey Jack for a delicious flavor. Another nice way to serve it is to grate some fresh apple with the cheese and sprinkle this mixture over the top. That is a great way to get the kids to eat more fruit as well as a very tasty garnish idea. Make this pumpkin soup recipe with fresh pumpkin if you happen to have some but canned pumpkin works just as well and has the added benefit that you can make this canned pumpkin soup recipe any time, not just when pumpkins happen to be in season.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 15 oz can pure pumpkin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese spread mixed with 2 tablespoons hot milk
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring the broth and cream to a boil in a heavy pan, then whisk in the nutmeg, sugar, chili, cumin, pumpkin and coriander.
- Turn the heat down to medium.
- Let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes until the flavors are well blended and the soup is thicker.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and decorate each one with a swirl of cream cheese and some cilantro.
- Alternatively you can garnish the pumpkin soup with grated cheese and grated apple, in which case you might want to leave out the cilantro.
This creamy and tasty pumpkin soup is made with plenty of warm, aromatic spices along with cream and sugar. Ideal for fall or winter, this soup makes a gorgeous lunch or light dinner. Garnish it with grated cheese and apple, or else a swirl of cream which is perhaps more traditional. You can either use canned pumpkin (as long as it is 100% pure pumpkin and nothing else) or fresh pumpkin if they are in season. Consider making this tasty soup for Halloween as a special treat for the family and serving it with crusty bread to make sure you can soak up every bit from your dish.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358342 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90948 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)