Bacon and Apple Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Pumpkin soup is usually vegetarian but not always. In this recipe, pumpkin soup is topped with a flavorful combination of bacon and green onions for an unusual texture. These might not be classic pumpkin soup ingredients but there is no denying the bacon adds a mouthwatering flavor to the dish. You can use smoky bacon if you like, rather than the non-smoked variety, but if you do this you can omit the dash of liquid smoke from the recipe, since you do not want the pumpkin soup to be too smoky flavored.
You can use either orange or white pumpkin in this pumpkin soup because both are good. When choosing a pumpkin, try to get one that is small and deep in color. Avoid anything discolored or too soft. You will find that the smaller pumpkins have a sweeter taste and they cook better than the huge jack-o-lantern type pumpkins.
This pumpkin soup recipe is very sweet and it contains apple cider, fresh apple, and sugar. If you prefer sweet flavored pumpkin soups, you will really like this one, especially if you are a fan of bacon as well. This is a very easy pumpkin soup to make and it is perfect for lunch, as an appetizer or as a warming late afternoon treat on a cold weekend. Not everyone is a fan of sweet pumpkin soups and you might like to reduce the amount of sugar in it if you prefer a more savory flavor.
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup apple cider
- ½ lb bacon, chopped
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- Dash of liquid smoke
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 apple, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Sauté the yellow onion, green onions, and bacon in a soup pot until soft.
- Remove some of the green onions and bacon to use as a garnish and leave the rest in the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients except the parsley, cover the pot, and simmer everything for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let the soup cool a bit, then put it in a blender in batches and blend it until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and heat it through.
- Divide between 6 serving bowls and garnish with the reserved bacon and green onion.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top and serve.
This photo shows a delicious green onion and bacon topped white pumpkin soup but feel free to use orange pumpkin in this recipe if you prefer or if white pumpkin is unavailable. Some of the bacon and green onions are used to flavor the soup and the rest are used as a flavorful and unusual topping. This sweet and fruity pumpkin soup makes a change from other recipes for creamy pumpkin soups if you fancy something juicy and luxuriously sweet. This classic pumpkin soup with apples is suitable for adults and kids or anyone with a sweet tooth.
Leave a Reply
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup with Celery December 7, 2014
- Golden Potato Soup with American Cheese December 6, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Celery November 24, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Celery and Red Onion November 23, 2014
- Herby Chicken Soup with Egg Noodles November 22, 2014
- Chicken Curry Soup with Vegetables November 20, 2014
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup November 18, 2014
- Fresh Pumpkin Soup with Warm Spices November 17, 2014
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup November 7, 2014
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (131174 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (86923 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54325 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (51104 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (38134 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (25125 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (24981 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (21607 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19552 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (19447 Views)