Curried Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe
This cream of pumpkin soup makes an ideal warming snack or appetizer on a cool fall or winter day and pumpkin soup tastes great when you use grilled pumpkin to make it. This pumpkin soup recipe also includes curry, cumin, and garlic, all of which go well with the pumpkin flavor and the evaporated milk makes it deliciously creamy without being too heavy.
You can use any kind of cream to garnish the soup before serving or even a spoonful of natural yogurt to add to the flavor and give it more creaminess. This soup recipe for outdoor grilled vegetables is simple to make and makes a healthy and nutritious soup.
You might be wondering why the recipe calls for grilled vegetables if it is supposed to be a warming winter recipe, but honestly this soup is too tasty to be enjoyed in the winter only. Once you have tasted it you will want to make it regularly. Use a charcoal grill for the best results, if you want the vegetables to have a smoky flavor, or stick to gas if you prefer. If the weather is bad then an indoor electric grill is better than nothing. The soup is started on the grill, finished off on the stove and then pureed to make it silky smooth. The aromatic spices in this recipe make it something unique and special.
- 1 lb pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heavy or sour cream to garnish
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Cut the pumpkin into large pieces, rub half the olive oil over it, and grill it over a medium heat for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Allow to cool then remove the skin and chop the pieces smaller.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook the garlic and onion until soft.
- Stir in the cumin and curry powder.
- Add the grilled pumpkin and broth. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Blend the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Garnish with the cream and parsley.
Enjoy this beautiful soup which is lightly spiced with cumin and curry. This soup makes a refreshing change from most soups you have tried, especially if you are more accustomed to the cream and maple syrup type ones. The grilled taste makes a nice addition to this soup and pumpkin is a wonderful vegetable to grill. If you want to fortify the flavor and color, then grill some carrots too and add those to the soup. You can see how garnishing with cream and fresh herbs finishes the soup off in style.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358786 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90951 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52607 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41067 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29442 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)