Sweet Pumpkin and Chocolate Soup Recipe
This delicious pumpkin and chocolate soup is more of a dessert than a savory dish. You might think that chocolate and pumpkin is an odd combination but this delicious soup is like a comforting hot drink and it is especially good just before bedtime. If you are looking for an unusual dessert or a way to use up some pumpkins, this dessert soup is ideal.
You can adjust the ingredients however, you like. Some people like to reduce the amount of sugar and chocolate but others love the extra sweet flavor. You can use apple juice instead of the apple cider if you have it. The flavor of the soup is very similar, whichever you use.
This pumpkin and chocolate soup is ideal for adults or children and it is very easy to make. The spiced pumpkin smells beautiful while it roasts and will make your whole kitchen smell mouthwateringly good. This soup is the perfect solution when you wish to make a dessert which gets talked about. Serve this at the end of the evening after your dinner party and people will remember the event fondly and probably ask you for the recipe too. This warming, soothing dessert is served in cups like a beverage rather than bowls, and as you sip it you will be able to taste the pumpkin, chocolate, apple and spices. Pumpkin and cacao were enjoyed as savory ingredients in the Aztec age but today pumpkin is used in both sweet and savory recipes while chocolate can be used to make a cake or mousse, but it can also be added to a chili con carne for richness, so why not combine these ingredients to make a deliciously different dessert soup? Serve it dark and rich, like in the photo, or add Half & Half if you prefer a creamier finish.
- 2 medium pumpkins
- 14 oz apple cider
- 14 oz apple juice
- 3 oz pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 8 squares bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 12 oz brown sugar plus 2 teaspoons extra
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Half and half, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the pumpkins into 4 pieces each and scoop out the stringy mass and seeds. Brush half the butter over each piece and sprinkle with orange juice, 2 teaspoons of the sugar, and half the cinnamon. Put the pumpkins cut side down on the foil and roast them for an hour or until they are soft.
- Let them cool, and then peel off the skin.
- Puree the pumpkin flesh in a food processor, put it in a big pot, and then add the juice, cider, the rest of the sugar and the rest of the spices.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over a medium heat, whisking it all the time.
- Add as much half and half as you like, to make it creamy, and also add the rest of the butter.
- Ladle into mugs and serve with the chocolate sprinkled on top.
This thick, rich pumpkin and chocolate soup makes a great beverage or dessert. Garnish the mug with a slice of orange if you wish, since orange juice is one of the flavors featuring in the recipe, as well as cinnamon and chocolate – great Mexican flavors. This unusual soup always hits the right spot and everyone loves it from young kids right up to grandparents. Who does not love chocolate? This is a wonderful soup for the fall or winter, if you want to serve something warming and comforting, but there is no reason not to serve this during the warmer month of the year. It is just too good to miss!
Leave a Reply
- Taste of Manila Chicken Tinola January 21, 2016
- Chili-Chocolate Venison Goulash January 19, 2016
- Lemon and Bean Soup with Rosemary November 18, 2015
- Crockpot Irish Lamb and Barley Stew November 17, 2015
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon November 16, 2015
- Winter Vegetable Orzo Soup November 15, 2015
- Gourmet Strawberry Gazpacho November 14, 2015
- Crockpot Italian Tomato Soup with Pasta November 13, 2015
- Mint and Cucumber Soup November 12, 2015
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195029 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (88178 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54424 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (51577 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40461 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (39766 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (27541 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (25723 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (21907 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19632 Views)