Sweet Pumpkin and Chocolate Soup Recipe
This delicious pumpkin and chocolate soup is more of a dessert than a savory dish. You might think that chocolate and pumpkin is an odd combination but this delicious soup is like a comforting hot drink and it is especially good just before bedtime. If you are looking for an unusual dessert or a way to use up some pumpkins, this dessert soup is ideal.
You can adjust the ingredients however, you like. Some people like to reduce the amount of sugar and chocolate but others love the extra sweet flavor. You can use apple juice instead of the apple cider if you have it. The flavor of the soup is very similar, whichever you use.
This pumpkin and chocolate soup is ideal for adults or children and it is very easy to make. The spiced pumpkin smells beautiful while it roasts and will make your whole kitchen smell mouthwateringly good. This soup is the perfect solution when you wish to make a dessert which gets talked about. Serve this at the end of the evening after your dinner party and people will remember the event fondly and probably ask you for the recipe too. This warming, soothing dessert is served in cups like a beverage rather than bowls, and as you sip it you will be able to taste the pumpkin, chocolate, apple and spices. Pumpkin and cacao were enjoyed as savory ingredients in the Aztec age but today pumpkin is used in both sweet and savory recipes while chocolate can be used to make a cake or mousse, but it can also be added to a chili con carne for richness, so why not combine these ingredients to make a deliciously different dessert soup? Serve it dark and rich, like in the photo, or add Half & Half if you prefer a creamier finish.
Pumpkin and Chocolate Soup with Spices
Summary: Chocolate, pumpkin and other ingredients combine to make this fantastic dessert soup, which is thick, rich and really aromatic with spicy Mexican flavors. This is unusual and really delicious.
- 2 medium pumpkins
- 14 oz apple cider
- 14 oz apple juice
- 3 oz pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 8 squares bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 12 oz brown sugar plus 2 teaspoons extra
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Half and half, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the pumpkins into 4 pieces each and scoop out the stringy mass and seeds. Brush half the butter over each piece and sprinkle with orange juice, 2 teaspoons of the sugar, and half the cinnamon. Put the pumpkins cut side down on the foil and roast them for an hour or until they are soft.
- Let them cool, and then peel off the skin.
- Puree the pumpkin flesh in a food processor, put it in a big pot, and then add the juice, cider, the rest of the sugar and the rest of the spices.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over a medium heat, whisking it all the time.
- Add as much half and half as you like, to make it creamy, and also add the rest of the butter.
- Ladle into mugs and serve with the chocolate sprinkled on top.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
This thick, rich pumpkin and chocolate soup makes a great beverage or dessert. Garnish the mug with a slice of orange if you wish, since orange juice is one of the flavors featuring in the recipe, as well as cinnamon and chocolate – great Mexican flavors. This unusual soup always hits the right spot and everyone loves it from young kids right up to grandparents. Who does not love chocolate? This is a wonderful soup for the fall or winter, if you want to serve something warming and comforting, but there is no reason not to serve this during the warmer month of the year. It is just too good to miss!
Leave a Reply
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (81332 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53277 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47324 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (30107 Views)
- Home (29776 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (19783 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (18739 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18404 Views)
- Stew Articles (13684 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12170 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11940 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9990 Views)