Cod Fish Vegetable Soup with Lemon and Parsley
This nice cod fish recipe is really nutritious and it makes a great lunch or supper. Serve crusty bread on the side, if you like, so you can sop up every bit of the delicious juices. You can use skinless cod filets or skin-on ones for this recipe. The skin holds the filet together better while it is cooking and then you get the choice of whether to eat it or peel it off afterwards. It is up to you.
Make sure the cod is boneless anyway by feeling along the center of each filet. You will be able to feel if there are any pin-bones sticking out. If so, pull them out with a pair of tweezers or with your fingers. Most fish filets are boneless but occasionally you might find a tiny bone left in there. It is better to make sure anyway; it only takes a few seconds to feel the fish and check.
This tasty soup contains mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, onion, garlic and potatoes, as well as the cod, and the flavor comes from the fish, vegetables, and lemon juice. The parsley also gives it a good flavor. As long as all your ingredients are prepared, your soup will be ready in just half an hour. This is a warming dish for chilly evenings but also light and refreshing enough to be suitable in the warmer seasons too.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 chopped peeled carrots
- 8 diced button mushrooms
- 2 diced tomatoes
- ½ diced yellow onion
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 peeled, diced Russet potato
- 3 lbs cod filets, in 4 inch pieces
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Fresh lemon juice and black pepper, to taste
- Bring the water to a boil in a big pot.
- Chop half the parsley and add it to the pot with the vegetables, salt, and oil.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish, cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes, checking it a few times to make sure it is simmering not boiling. If it cooks too fast, the fish could fall apart.
- Take the soup off the heat and add black pepper to taste. Stir in some lemon juice if you like and perhaps some extra salt.
- Garnish the finished soup with the remaining parsley.
This tasty dish is one of our healthiest dishes, as well as most easy fish recipes. The cod is paired with fresh vegetables and the stock is a basic combination of water, lemon juice, parsley and garlic, as well as a little salt and pepper. Do not underestimate the flavor though because this is a very flavorful and satisfying dish. You can see a salad in the background of the photo and that might be a good dish to serve on the side. Alternatively just some bread for dunking will do nicely. Cod is a great choice for fish stew recipes and fish soup recipes because it blends with various other flavors and it holds together well when braised or cooked in liquid.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358586 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90950 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41065 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)