Fantastic Fish Ball Noodle Soup Recipe
This is a simple recipe but the homemade fish balls make it extra special. Fish balls are easy to make and you just need to mix fish, lime zest, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor to make them. Use heaped teaspoons of this mixture to make balls and then just drop them into the soup.
You can buy readymade fish balls but these tend to contain unnecessary additives and they do not taste very nice. Making your own is so easy so you might as well do that. Use tilapia, basa, cod, halibut, or any other white fish you have. Thawed fish is fine for this recipe.
This recipe uses chicken stock because that has a nice, mild flavor, which goes well with the fish balls. Star anise adds flavor to the soup and the red bell pepper adds both crunch and color. If you have some cooked chicken to use up, feel free to shred that and throw it into the soup a minute before serving, just to warm it up. Fish balls and chicken go together well and since the soup is chicken stock-based, the chicken will suit the overall flavor perfectly.
Asian Soup with Homemade Fish Balls
Summary: This Asian dish features homemade fish balls instead of chopped filets. The red bell pepper, cilantro and other ingredients add plenty of vibrant color to the dish.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 whole star anise
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ lbs chopped, skinned boneless white fish filets
- ⅔ chopped red bell pepper
- 9 oz dried Pad Thai noodles
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 inch peeled, sliced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Put the ginger, stock, soy sauce, sugar, and star anise in a pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook it for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish, lime zest, cilantro, and garlic in a food processor and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Process it well, and then roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls.
- Put the noodles in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let them stand for 6 minutes or until tender. Separate them with a fork and drain.
- Strain the stock mixture and put it back in a pan over a moderate heat. Add the fish balls to it and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Divide the noodles between 4 serving bowls, then ladle the soup and fish balls over them.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Asian (Fusion)
This delicious recipe is simple to make (even though you are making the fish balls yourself) and the result is fantastic. A lot of people dislike canned soups because they do not taste fresh. Well, you will not have that problem with this fish ball soup recipe because it tastes really fresh and homemade. The soup itself is a simple combination of seasoned chicken stock with herbs and spices. Then you have the noodles and also the homemade fish balls. Garnish the fish ball soup with some fresh cilantro and you will have an amazing lunch or dinner. This is an authentic Asian soup recipe and the taste is delicious.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Stew
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- The Best French Onion Soup Cheese
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- How to Choose the Best Stock Pots
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (71391 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (38757 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (28781 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (24601 Views)
- Home (22587 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17069 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (16798 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (15810 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (9703 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (8832 Views)