Fantastic Fish Ball Noodle Soup Recipe
This is a simple recipe but the homemade fish balls make it extra special. Fish balls are easy to make and you just need to mix fish, lime zest, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor to make them. Use heaped teaspoons of this mixture to make balls and then just drop them into the soup.
You can buy readymade fish balls but these tend to contain unnecessary additives and they do not taste very nice. Making your own is so easy so you might as well do that. Use tilapia, basa, cod, halibut, or any other white fish you have. Thawed fish is fine for this recipe.
This recipe uses chicken stock because that has a nice, mild flavor, which goes well with the fish balls. Star anise adds flavor to the soup and the red bell pepper adds both crunch and color. If you have some cooked chicken to use up, feel free to shred that and throw it into the soup a minute before serving, just to warm it up. Fish balls and chicken go together well and since the soup is chicken stock-based, the chicken will suit the overall flavor perfectly.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 whole star anise
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ lbs chopped, skinned boneless white fish filets
- ? chopped red bell pepper
- 9 oz dried Pad Thai noodles
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 inch peeled, sliced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Put the ginger, stock, soy sauce, sugar, and star anise in a pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook it for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish, lime zest, cilantro, and garlic in a food processor and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Process it well, and then roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls.
- Put the noodles in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let them stand for 6 minutes or until tender. Separate them with a fork and drain.
- Strain the stock mixture and put it back in a pan over a moderate heat. Add the fish balls to it and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Divide the noodles between 4 serving bowls, then ladle the soup and fish balls over them.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
This delicious recipe is simple to make (even though you are making the fish balls yourself) and the result is fantastic. A lot of people dislike canned soups because they do not taste fresh. Well, you will not have that problem with this fish ball soup recipe because it tastes really fresh and homemade. The soup itself is a simple combination of seasoned chicken stock with herbs and spices. Then you have the noodles and also the homemade fish balls. Garnish the fish ball soup with some fresh cilantro and you will have an amazing lunch or dinner. This is an authentic Asian soup recipe and the taste is delicious.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357864 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23569 Views)