How to Make Fish Soup – Fisherman’s Soup with Paprika
This tasty Hungarian fish soup recipe is a real delicacy, and it is often served at Christmas. This bright red fish soup, which is known as “halaszle,” is made with mixed river fish. It is traditionally made in small kettles over an open fire. Although there are different halaszle recipes, ground red paprika, onions, river fish, and green bell pepper feature in most of them. Do not be afraid to add plenty of paprika, since this is what gives fisherman’s soup its typical red color and spicy flavor.
This flavorful Hungarian soup is always served with white bread, and traditionally pasta with cottage cheese and sour cream is served as an entree after the soup. Every Hungarian region has its own hasazle recipe, but the following features tomato, onion, parsley, paprika and red wine, as well as the fish, to keep the flavors relatively simple.
A lot of easy fish recipes call for sea fish such as cod, hake, tilapia, or tuna but sometimes it makes a change to enjoy freshwater fish. Perhaps you have a keen fisherman in the family, in which case you might even be given the carp and other fish as a gift. Now you know how to make a delicious authentic Hungarian soup recipe with these fish.
- 1 large carp, about 3 lbs
- 1 lb mixed freshwater fish
- 2 chopped yellow onions
- ½ cup red wine
- 8 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika powder
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 peeled fresh tomato
- Salt, to taste
- Clean the fish and cut away the scales, fins, teeth, eyes and tail.
- Wash the fish using cold water, then open it and discard the chitterlings.
- Alternatively you can get a fishmonger to prepare the fish for you.
- Slice the fish into 1 inch slices and sprinkle salt over them.
- Cook the carp's head in water until soft, then strain the resulting liquid to make a fish stock.
- Put the salted fish slices in the fish stock.
- Slice the tomato and bell pepper and add the slices to the fish stock.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Add the wine and paprika and cook until the fish is tender.
- Remove the fish filets with a slotted spoon and divide them between 6 bowls.
- Ladle the rest of the soup over the fish filets.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top.
The wonderful bright red hue of this typical Hungarian soup recipe gives away what it is. This freshwater fish soup is really popular in Hungary, as well as all over Eastern Europe. Tourists are always keen to try this soup when touring Eastern Europe, and the locals also enjoy it very much. Catfish, pike, and perch are often used, as well as the carp. This fisherman’s soup can be mild, medium or spicy, depending how much paprika is added. If you are making a spicy soup, you might wish to serve extra bread with it. A spritzer (white wine and soda water) goes nicely with a bowl of halaszle.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (366231 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195580 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (91097 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54681 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52676 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41140 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40876 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29563 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26517 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23599 Views)