Hungarian Fish Soup with Tomato and Onion
Fish soup is a popular Hungarian dish, although river fish is preferred over sea fish in Hungary. Fish soup is usually served as an appetizer recipe in Hungarian households, although it does make a nice lunch or a light dinner. The traditional recipe would be prepared in kettles over an open fire by the fishermen but making it on the stove is simpler.
There are different fish soup recipes in every Hungarian region so if you are traveling through the country, it is a good idea to sample the local fish soup recipes when you get to a new town or city. Every bowl will give you different flavor combinations.
The following recipe for fish soup combines carp with vegetables, paprika, red wine and a little salt. This is a simple recipe but the flavor is nice because you can taste the fresh fish and the vegetables are also good in this. Do not underestimate the qualities of Hungarian paprika either. The taste is beautiful and will really bring this recipe to life. You can use any meaty fish in this recipe. The recipe calls for carp but you could try basa fish or cod if they are easier to find. The resulting soup will not be as authentic but not everyone likes carp or can get it.
- 1 whole carp, weighing about 3 lbs
- 1 lb mixed freshwater fish
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 peeled, sliced tomato
- 2 chopped yellow onions
- 4 pints water
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika powder
- 4 oz red wine
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon slices and fresh chives, to garnish
- Clean the fish and remove the scales, teeth, fins, eyes and tail using a sharp knife. Rinse the cleaned fish under cold running water.
- Slit the carp up the belly and take out the chitterlings. Slice it into 1 inch pieces and sprinkle salt over them.
- Cook the carp's head with the mixed freshwater fish until tender, to make a fish stock. Strain this stock through a sieve. Cook the onion in water until it is soft, then sieve it, and add it to the fish stock.
- Put the salted carp slices into the fish stock and add the bell pepper and tomato, and some salt to taste. You might also need to add more water.
- Add the paprika and wine and cook until the carp is tender.
- Divide the fish filets between serving bowls, then ladle the soup on top. Garnish with chives and lemon slices.
This attractively colored soup is really appetizing and if you want to make something with a Hungarian flavor, this is a nice recipe to try. The lemon and chives are optional and mainly just added for color. Fish soup is a popular dish in Hungary and if you like Thai or Japanese style, aromatic fish soup recipes or hearty, creamy western ones, why not try this Hungarian fish soup recipe next? It is certainly different and will make a tasty change from the soups you usually make or buy.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358133 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)