Recipe for French Green Lentil Soup
It is natural for our bodies to crave carbs and fat in the cooler months. This is because our minds tell us we need fat keeping us nourished and warm when winter makes food scarce, despite most of us having local grocery stores year-round! Instead of consuming high carb snacks and sugary treats when you are chilly, why not make a healthy fish soup recipe which has the same effect and keeps you toasty warm and satisfied?
The following soup recipe makes a nutritious soup which is amazing served with some Greek yogurt on top. It is up to you how thick or thin you make the soup. Just adjust the amount of broth or water. If you are using fish broth or another homemade or commercial type, be aware that you might not need to add any salt to the soup. Broths vary in how salty they are. Just use your judgment as you go and check the seasonings at the end.
You do not have to use the spices suggested in the recipe. Have a look and see what is in your spice rack, then just add whatever you like and taste the soup as you go. The base flavors are vegetables, tomatoes, lentils, and fish, so there are many different spice combinations that would work well. Cod has its own distinctive flavor but this type of fish works with delicate ingredients and bold-tasting ones, so use your imagination and creativity to really make this lentil soup recipe your own.
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 chopped stalks celery
- 3 ½ cups canned or roasted tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 oz cod filets, in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup green lentils
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups broth or water plus 1 or 2 cups extra
- Bring 4 cups of the broth to a boil, and then add the lentils. Boil them for 25 minutes.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil in a big pot for 3 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pot with the onions, along with the celery and kale. Add the tomatoes and their juice.
- Season with cumin, cinnamon, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of broth or water (depending on the thickness you like) and the chunks of fish to the soup. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
As you can see from the photo, using green lentils gives this soup a colorful and appealing look. You do not have to cook the soup over an open fire, like in the photo, but if you are camping and you have caught some fish, why not make a campfire fish soup? As long as you can maintain the fire to keep the soup simmering gently, it will come out nicely. This delicious and easy fish recipe combines lentils, cod, and other vegetables to make a warming and hearty soup. It is up to you which spices and broth you use for this delicious recipe for fish soup.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358482 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90948 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41063 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26481 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)