Slow-Cooked Thai Salmon Soup
If you are looking for a tasty crockpot soup recipe but you are also in the mood for an exotic flavor, consider this Thai style salmon soup which can be made in your slow cooker. Like many crockpot recipes this one is easy to make because you simply need to put the ingredients in the crockpot and leave it to cook your soup. It will take about 5 hours to cook, maybe more, maybe less, but once the salmon is opaque and the vegetables are tender it is done.
As well as the salmon, you will need some tasty vegetables – onion and bell pepper, along with aromatic ingredients like coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, peanut butter, and lime juice, to offer a delicious and authentic Thai flavor to the soup. All these ingredients go into the crockpot after you have chopped whatever needed to be chopped, then you can give it a good stir before flipping the switch to the low setting. After that you can simply forget about it. The crockpot will do the rest.
Some of the ingredients in this soup recipe can be omitted or substituted if you wish. You might like to include some fresh jalapeños if you want to add extra spice, or else leave them out if not. One jalapeño should be enough for a piquant kick but some people might want to have 2 in there – the real spice lovers that is. The lime juice can be swapped for lemon juice, although lime juice is more authentic in such a recipe. The salmon can also be exchanged for another type of fish such as tilapia, cod or haddock. You could even try shrimp if you prefer, or even chicken, but par-cook the chicken first, or at least brown it to speed up the crockpot cooking time.
- ¾ lb salmon filets
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 27 oz light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ chopped red bell pepper
- ½ chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 seeded, diced jalapeño (optional)
- Handful of fresh chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 lemon or lime wedges, for garnish
- Put everything except the cilantro and lime juice in the crockpot.
- Cook on high for 4½ hours.
- Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with the lemon or lime wedges, and some chopped cilantro.
This is a really impressive fish soup recipe but it is really easy to make. Simply chop your ingredients and put everything in the crockpot along with Thai seasonings like lime juice, coconut milk, red curry paste, and ginger. The soup will take about 5 hours to cook from start to finish, and you can leave it unattended. Make this after lunch and it will be ready to enjoy by dinner time. If any of the aroma comes out of the crockpot your kitchen is going to smell amazing. A lot of people make soups and stews in the slow cooker but stick to classic Western recipes. This recipe however shows you that Asian recipes are perfect for slow cooking too.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358227 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)