Spiced Recipe for Basa Fish with Lemongrass
Basa is an economical variety of catfish and you can use thawed basa in most recipes calling for a meaty white fish. This fish has a delicate flavor which suits aromatic recipes, easy fish recipes or bold, spicy ones. You could use another kind of fish in the following fish soup recipe if you prefer but basa works well. You can buy this fish frozen in packs so just thaw out as much as you need and the rest will keep in the freezer until you are ready for future easy fish recipes using basa fish.
The coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, ginger, and lemongrass give plenty of Thai flavor to this mouthwatering soup and the Thai red curry paste adds a complex flavor which is only enhanced by the addition of the other ingredients. If you are new to making fish recipes, even easy fish recipes, give this one a go. The soup is so easy to make and the results are amazing. You can get all the following ingredients from an Asian grocery store or maybe from your regular grocery store if it is a big one.
This recipe combines different flavors – sour with sweet, and rich with delicate. This works really well and the recipe also combines diverse textures for an interesting result. The juicy fish contrasts with the sweetness of the coconut milk and the tart flavor of the citrus juice. This is a refreshing and delicious soup which is surprisingly simple to prepare.
- 2 pints fish stock or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 1 lb basa fish filets, chopped
- 1 inch peeled, sliced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and sliced finely
- Sliced red chili pepper, for garnish (optional)
- Sauté the curry paste in the oil in a pan over a moderate heat for half a minute, stirring it constantly.
- Add the fish stock, lemongrass, ginger, and coconut milk and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Add the basa fish and cook for 2 minutes or until it is opaque all the way through and no longer glossy. Stir in as much fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar as you think the recipe needs.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with strips of red chili pepper.
This attractively colored soup is really easy to put together. It tastes great and the recipe only takes about twenty minutes to make from start to finish, which is ideal if you want to make something for the family dinner on a busy weeknight. Basa fish is an inexpensive choice and most people enjoy its mild flavor. When you add a mild-tasting fish to a curry soup recipe, the fish takes on the spices but you can still taste its own subtle flavor. If you enjoy Thai flavors, you are going to love this easy fish soup recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357634 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)