Chinese Shrimp Dumpling Soup
The following dumpling soup, or wonton soup, is easy to make and making wontons is an activity the whole family can get involved in together. This recipe serves 8 people so you can halve it. Do not cook the wontons in the broth because the flour from the wonton wrappers will make the soup murky and affect its flavor. The best broth for Chinese dumplings is clear, light, and aromatic.
Use good quality shrimp for the dumpling filling, such as black tiger shrimp. Dumpling soup is a famous Chinese dish and it has been written about by poets since the Tang dynasty, which was from 618 to 907 AD. The most famous type of dumpling soup is the Cantonese Hong Kong style one and the wontons in that contain a lovely pork and shrimp mixture. That is the recipe ours is based on.
This is suitable for a light dinner or you can serve the dumpling soup for lunch or as an appetizer if you halve the portion sizes. Anyone who loves authentic Chinese flavors like sesame, soy sauce, and oyster sauce should enjoy the fabulous texture and flavor of this recipe. The dumplings are easy to make, but keep them covered with a damp towel between making them and cooking them, else they might dry out and crack, and if that happens the filling will leak out.
- 2 pints wonton broth (or good quality chicken broth)
- 2½ tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 lbs black tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cooking rice wine
- 100 wonton wrappers
- Cut the shrimp into little pieces and put them in a bowl.
- Combine the oyster sauce with the shrimp, soy sauce, pepper, oil, pork, and rice wine.
- Stir well then let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Put ¾ teaspoon of filling into the center of each wonton wrapper and fold them over.
- Moisten the outside of the wonton wrapper with a wet fingertip and press together to seal, squeezing out all the air beforehand.
- Gently heat up the wonton broth in a pan but do not let it boil.
- Cook the shrimp wontons in an uncovered pot of water for 2 minutes or until they float to the top.
- Spoon them into serving bowls then ladle the broth over the wontons.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top.
This traditional Chinese delicacy is worth making from scratch. When making this, ensure you are using a premium-quality wonton broth or chicken broth. Also, it is best to use reduced-sodium soy sauce, else the combination of that and the broth might make the dish too salty. Although fresh wontons are best, it is not worth only making a few at a time, so feel free to make a large number and freeze them for future dumpling soup recipes. You can thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. This dumpling soup is nutritious and satisfying and you will probably want to add it to your regular menu.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357376 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)