Chunky Leek and Pea Soup
This delicious soup is warming, hearty and healthy. The leeks and peas are delicious together, and we are using vegetable or chicken stock as a base for the soup, along with butter, olive oil and perhaps a splash of cream to make the soup more luxurious. Some fresh mint is our secret weapon in this soup, to add a beautiful fresh taste to every spoonful of this incredible pea and leek soup.
Making it could not be easier. First you need to sauté the leeks in the oil and butter until tender, then you can add the peas and stock and cook the soup a little bit more. Finally stir in the fresh mint and this is also the time to add some cream if you like, or omit it if not, and then you can add salt and black pepper to taste, or white pepper if you prefer. Either type is good in this soup. The amount of seasoning you will need depends on the stock you are using, because some are more seasoned that others, so let your palate be your guide.
This is a chunky soup rather than a pureed one. If you wanted to run this through the food processor to get a smooth texture, go ahead, but we feel part of the appeal of this soup lies with its chunky texture. It is just more interesting served without being pureed, plus you get to see the whole peas in there and crush them between your teeth while enjoying the soup. If you usually make pureed soups try this chunky variety for a change, to see which kind you prefer. This leek and pea soup is incredibly easy to prepare, and you can have it on the table in about half an hour. Served with some crusty bread, this makes a phenomenal lunch or supper for the whole family to enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 finely chopped leeks
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2½ cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan with the oil.
- Add the leeks and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the stock and peas.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then turn down the heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mint and cream (if using).
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
This rich and hearty soup is based on peas and leeks. Leaving the soup chunky rather than pureeing it to a silky mixture adds interest, and you can see from the photo how appealing this is. Chow down on this appetizing pea soup with some crusty bread on the side, and enjoy the fresh, aromatic flavors in there. You will find the fresh mint goes beautifully with the peas, and cooking the leek in butter adds a lovely richness to the taste. Because you can prepare and cook this in just half an hour, why not make it on a busy evening after a long day at work, because the wonderful flavors will really reward you for your efforts.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (359038 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195563 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90955 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52608 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41074 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29451 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26486 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23577 Views)