Asian Inspired Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This is a very simple recipe and it relies on subtle Asian flavors rather than being a creamy butternut squash soup. The ingredients in this butternut squash soup recipe are basic and all the flavor comes from the grilled squash, the shallot, garlic and fish sauce.
The bouillon adds a slightly salty vegetable flavor but you could use plain water if you want less of a bouillon flavor. If you do not have any coconut to toast, you can use thinly sliced green onions as an alternative garnish. This is one of our most easy grilled vegetable recipes and if you like simple flavored Asian vegetable dishes, you should definitely try this one. It makes a deliciously light appetizer.
Although this recipe is simple and does not call for a lot of different ingredients that is actually where its appeal lies. Some of the very best soup recipes are those which call for just a few choice ingredients because that means you will be able to taste everything in it without too many different flavors vying for attention or competing and overpowering each other.
The sweetness of the butternut squash is heavenly with the Thai fish sauce while the coconut garnish is also very nice. If you want to make something with a subtle Asian flavor rather than a soup with noodles, chilies and ingredients like that, then you might want to choose this recipe because it is simple, delicate and very tasty indeed.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable bouillon
- ½ teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Toasted coconut to garnish
- Cut the squash in halve and remove the seeds.
- Rub half the olive oil over the squash and season it with salt and black pepper. Grill the squash over a medium heat, flesh side down, for 20 minutes, then skin side down for 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Let the squash cool and scoop out the flesh.
- Fry the garlic and shallot in the rest of the olive oil until golden brown.
- Add the bouillon and bring to the boil.
- Add the squash and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup in the blender on the pulse setting.
- Add fish sauce to taste and garnish with toasted coconut.
- Serve hot.
A Picture of our Easy Butternut Squash Soup with Toasted Coconut – with the taste of Asia and the grill this soup is sure to become a family favorite and a wonderful use of this grilled vegetable. Butternut squash grills up extra delicious and is a true bounty of late summer.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357899 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)