Beautiful Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Velvety roasted butternut squash soup is a wonderful dish to serve in the fall or winter. Some butternut squash recipes feature savory ingredients like potatoes and leeks and others use sweet ones like cranberry and apple.
The following recipe for butternut squash soup features savory ingredients as well as pomegranate juice, to add an exotic sweetness. This juice is tart instead of sweet but it does add a nice fruity taste. A lot of pumpkin soup recipes feature either all savory or all sweet ingredients and butternut squash is just as adaptable and versatile.
Cooking the onions for a few hours over a really low heat, with olive oil, thyme, butter, salt and pepper gives you wonderfully sweet caramelized onions. Roasting and pureeing the butternut squash with the onions, cream, juice and vegetable stock gives you a mouthwatering soup recipe and you can serve this for lunch or dinner.
Gourmet Soup Recipe with Squash, Gorgonzola, and Onions
Summary: Butternut squash is combined with gorgonzola for a rich-flavored soup, and the cream, wine and thyme add gourmet accents to this delicious, creamy soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 lb thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup Half & Half
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 butternut squash (weight 4 or 5 lbs)
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the butternut squash in half and put the halves on a lined baking sheet, cut sides down. Roast for about 50 minutes or until the flesh is tender and the skin is puckered. Let it cool, and then cube it, discarding the skin.
- Heat a big pot over a moderate heat. Add the oil, butter, salt, pepper, and onions. Sprinkle in the thyme and add the onions. Stir well and turn the heat down to low. Stir the onions every 10 minutes and cook for about 2 hours or until they are golden but not brown.
- Put 2/3 of the onion mixture in a blender with 1 cup of the vegetable stock.
- Puree and put it back in the pot. Put half the squash in the blender and puree it with another cup of the stock. Put this back in the pot. Puree the remaining squash and put it in the pot.
- Add the bay leaves, wine, Half & Half and pomegranate juice. Stir in the cayenne pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer and add extra stock, if necessary.
- Cover it and simmer gently for half an hour.
- Warm the reserved onions back up in a pot over a gentle heat. Take the bay leaves out of the soup and divide it between 10 serving bowls.
- Sprinkle the gorgonzola on top and then the reserved onions.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 3 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
This is a gourmet soup and you can tell that either by reading the recipe or by looking at the photo. If you are looking for an impressive soup recipe for a dinner party, you cannot go wrong with this sweet butternut squash soup. The salty, ripe flavor of the gorgonzola contrasts so well with the sweetness of the squash and the pomegranate juice. This soup is a treat for your senses, combining wonderful flavors and textures.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- The Best French Onion Soup Cheese
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- How to Choose the Best Stock Pots
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (72104 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (39211 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (29744 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (24877 Views)
- Home (22754 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17126 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (16883 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (15939 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (9873 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (8871 Views)