Grilled Tomato Soup Recipe with Basil
This tomato basil soup recipe uses vine-ripened tomatoes, which are left to ripen on the vine. This allows their sugars to develop and gives them a more intense flavor and a deep red color. Vine-ripened tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and lycopene which is an antioxidant.
In this tomato soup recipe, the tomatoes are grilled before being combined with delicious ingredients such as garlic, oregano and chili flakes and parmesan cheese. The soup is served over a whole grilled tomato. This tomato basil soup recipe is very tasty and results in a warming soup which is perfect served as an appetizer with warm crusty bread.
This Italian-inspired recipe is ideal if you have some vine-ripened tomatoes and you are wondering what to do with them. Although this type of tomato is good when served as part of a salad or used to make bruschetta, you can also cook with them as long as you make the tomato the star of the dish and ensure the flavor is sufficiently showcased.
If you are making a mixed vegetable soup you might as well use regular tomatoes since they are cheaper and will taste the same, but if you expressly wish to make a tomato soup and show off the quality of the tomatoes then choose this recipe and this type of tomato.
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 smashed cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill.
- Brush some of the olive oil on the tomatoes and grill them for about 18 minutes or until the skin starts to char and peel off.
- Let them cool a bit.
- Peel and chop 8 of them.
- Keep the juice but throw away the skin. Mix the tomato flesh and juices in a pan with a tablespoon of the olive oil, the tomato juice, stock, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes then remove the garlic and adjust the seasoning.
- Put the 4 reserved tomatoes in 4 warmed soup bowls, then ladle the soup over them.
- Scatter the oregano and parmesan on top, then garnish with the remaining olive oil and chopped basil.
A Picture of tomato basil soup recipe combining this with the taste of the grill will make a tomato soup fan out of even those who will not touch the caned stuff. Grilling the tomatoes brings out a wonderful flavor distinctly its own.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358095 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)