White Asparagus Soup with White Wine
This flavorful soup is known as “Spargelsuppe” in Germany, where it is very famous. The Germans tend to prefer white asparagus to green (unlike many people in the United States) and this mouthwatering soup is a luxurious treat. The pureed asparagus and broth mixture also contains cream for a decadent touch. The asparagus tips are reserved until the last few minutes or cooking time. They are the tastiest part of the asparagus and they add a wonderful luxury to the broth.
The white wine is optional but it adds a nice acidity to the soup which some people like. Kids who are normally fussy about eating vegetables usually like this soup so leave out the wine if you are making it for kids. The alcohol would cook off but kids prefer a milder flavor and the wine makes it a bit astringent for their taste buds. If you have very suspicious kids, try pureeing the asparagus tips as well as the asparagus spears!
You can choose your garnish for this white asparagus soup recipe; either chopped fresh parsley or croutons would work well or you could even use both. Serve this soup in small portions as an appetizer or in larger ones as an entree. If you do not want to use croutons, you can serve crusty warm French bread with this white asparagus soup recipe, to make it more filling and to sop up every last bit of the wonderful mixture.
- 2 lbs peeled white asparagus, in 2 inch pieces (reserve the tips)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small chopped onion
- ½ cup Half & Half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- Handful of croutons (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sauté the onion in the butter and oil in a 4 quart pot, until it is tender.
- Add the asparagus (not the tips) and let them steam for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and boil the mixture gently for half an hour or until the asparagus is very soft.
- Puree the soup in a blender, in batches, and then return it to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and add the asparagus tips. Cook for 5 minutes or until the asparagus tips are tender.
- Turn down the heat and add the cream. Do not let the soup boil any more.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste, as well as a little dry white wine if you like.
- Stir again and serve hot, perhaps garnished with croutons.
As you might expect, this creamy white-colored soup is made with white asparagus instead of its green cousin. This is a rich and delicious soup which is very popular in Germany. The white wine, cream, and other ingredients work together to give this delicate soup a unique and very special flavor and you can serve it as an entree with perhaps a salad leaf, cucumber, and vine-ripened tomato salad on the side, or something equally simple. You can make some croutons as a garnish if you like although not all white asparagus soup recipes are served with croutons.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357689 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)