Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole
If you are looking for a cream soup which is a bit different than normal cream soups this might be of interest to you. it is a southwestern inspired soup featuring black beans at the core but with a bunch of different elements combined to give you a very unique soup. Now you could serve this as a before or after diner soup either way it would be at home but a little warning it does have a little spice in it and if you are weary of heat you can cut back on the chipotle or eliminate it all together and it would actual then be a bit on the sweet side.
Although many of my recipes on different sites have a heat element always feel free to cut back on it there is no shame in not being a fan of spice in a recipe just tailor it to your family’s love of it. Mine runs all the way from youngest and hubby to my second oldest who hates it so I often make two different levels of dishes to suit everyone. This recipe also has room for a couple different kinds of garnishing I will suggest to you here.
You could always take and crumple up some tortilla chips and sprinkle them on top for a bit of crunch kind of like tortilla soup that is one. Another would be a dollop of sour cream on top or salsa or even both. Almost any Tex-Mex or Mexican entree would go good with or following this so you have a lot of room to make this into part of a themed dinner. Feel free to double the recipe and make it for a luncheon with the ladies if you have an adventurous group of friends. There are all kinds of possibilities with this soup so use your imagination and if you come up with something I didn’t think of drop me a comment so others can share.
- 2 15 Ounce Progresso Black Turtle Beans, rinsed
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup light cream
- ½ cup orange juice
- ⅔ cup crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Visit my Mexican food site for a selection of wonderful guacamole recipes
- Fresh lime wedges to serve
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Start by rinsing the beans under cold water in a calendar.
- In a skillet melt the butter and heat until very hot but not smoking, add the onion to this and sauté until lightly browned and slightly caramelized, add the garlic and cook for another minute or two until slightly toasted add the bell pepper to slightly soften them but not brown.
- Place in a stockpot along with the beans, veggies including the chipotle chilies, along with the liquids and herbs reserve the crème fraîche and cream for now and bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for twenty minutes.
- Remove two ladles of beans and veggies and place in a bowl not liquid.
- With an immersion blender take and puree the soup until nice and smooth.
- Add the cream, crème fraîche, cheese and bowl of removed contents and with a wooden spoon stir until well blended and the cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for five minutes.
- Ladle into individual boles top with a few spoonfuls of guacamole and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with cornbread (optional)
If you’re after a southwestern soup with a flavor of Tex-Mex meets Mexico on the border this soup might interest you. It has a bit of smoky heat brought into it by the chipotle chilies and a creamy element brought in to it by dairy in the form of both light cream and crème fraîche. It is mostly pureed but we retain a bit of the original starting point to infuse a textural element not present in many cream soups so it feels a bit fuller bodied. To serve it we top it with a bit of guacamole and if you like it would go nice with some fresh made cornbread.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357353 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)