Vegetarian Cream of Broccoli and Zucchini Soup
using broccoli and zucchini as the main ingredients here, supported by shallots, onion and some garlic if you like as well. Some people prefer a darker color soup and you can accomplish this by throwing in half a cup of kale. This is an aromatic soup which is deliciously hearty and warming.
Our recipe is very easy. You need to sauté shallots and onion, adding some garlic too if you want, then add vegetables as well as vegetable stock, and some dried thyme for a nice, earthy flavor. Add some milk for a creamy texture, and perhaps a splash of cream too if you want, and then when the veggies are tender it is time to puree the soup. We like to remove a few of the vegetable chunks before pureeing the rest, then add them as a garnish. Alternatively you can add sprigs of basil as a nice garnish.
This flavorful soup makes four servings, which is plenty if you want to sit down with the family and enjoy this as a tasty meal on a cold evening, perhaps served with crusty bread. You could even make extra because it keeps in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days, and may be rewarmed on the stove or in the microwave. Just make sure you do not bring it back to a boil. It does not need to get that hot. Serve some freshly grated parmesan flakes on the side when serving the soup, because the creamy taste of the cheese is really good with the savory vegetable flavors this soup offers. You might not need to add much salt, if any, depending on the stock you are using. Some tend to be saltier than others.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 peeled, minced shallots
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- 1 roughly chopped large head of broccoli
- 3 peeled, chopped zucchini
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups milk
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pot over a moderate heat.
- Add the shallots and onion, and garlic if using.
- Sauté for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broccoli, zucchini, stock and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, as well as some salt and black pepper to taste.
- If you want, you can remove a few chunks of broccoli and zucchini (for a garnish).
- Puree the rest of the soup, in batches, in a food processor or blender.
- We recommend letting it cool down a little first.
- Once pureed, you can reheat the soup in the pot.
- Ladle it into 4 bowls and top with the reserved broccoli and zucchini if using.
- Offer parmesan cheese flakes on the side, if liked.
Who says healthy soup recipes cannot taste good? This delicious broccoli and zucchini soup boasts all the benefits you would expect from a soup rich in vegetables, and it also has garlic, thyme and milk in there, to round out the flavor and give it a nice texture. You can see what an attractive color our homemade broccoli soup is. It looks and smells great, and you might be surprised when the kids enjoy it, especially when you sprinkle some of their favorite cheese over the top to make it even more appealing.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358922 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195563 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90953 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52607 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41072 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29449 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23575 Views)