Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup
This brightly colored soup is easy to make and very tasty. The recipe is kept simple so all the focus is on the main ingredients which are the carrot and the orange. You need cooked carrots for this recipe so you can microwave or boil them beforehand unless you are working with leftover cooked carrots. Use fresh orange juice for the best results. Carrot and orange soup is a popular dish, and one which you will often find on restaurant menus. Homemade soups are always good and this recipe is suitable for any level of cook, from beginners upwards.
Carrots and orange both offer a natural sweetness white the chicken stock and onion balance everything out with their savory tastes. The onion is cooked first until it is golden brown, then all the rest of the ingredients go into the mixture and everything is pureed. The soup becomes smooth and velvety. Stir in some sour cream before stirring for a luxurious texture. Whipping cream or plain yogurt would also work.
Enjoy a bowlful of this before any kind of main dish. Perhaps you are cooking a chicken or turkey, in which case this would make a nice appetizer. The color is festive and appetizing, and the flavor of this soup appeals to all ages. If you have a big batch of carrots and you are wondering what to do with them, try this. If you are serving vegetarians, simply swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. The color of the soup will be a bit darker but the flavor will be just as good.
- 1 lb peeled, sliced, cooked carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley sprigs and orange slices, for garnish
- Sauté the onion in the butter until tender.
- Put the chicken stock in a pot with the carrots and onions.
- Add the orange juice and bring to a simmer.
- Puree the soup in the blender or food processor until very smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, then return to the pot.
- Stir in the nutmeg.
- Bring the soup to a boil, stirring often.
- Stir in the sour cream and serve garnished with orange slices and parsley.
See how richly colored this soup is. Carrot and orange soup is a popular choice if you enjoy natural sweetness in soups but are not in the mood for a pumpkin or sweet potato soup. In this recipe the carrot, orange and other flavors combine brilliantly and then the soup is pureed to make it thick and velvety. The soup will be thick enough to balance the orange slices and parsley sprigs on top, and you will agree the combination of orange and green just looks so appealing. These 2 colors together are actually known to stimulate the appetite.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357401 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)