Oh So Delicious Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe
This is rather a basic soup but do not let that fool you into thinking it might be bland because it is not. Sometimes all you need to make a wonderfully flavored soup is vegetables, garlic, and seasonings. The vegetables give a wholesome and fresh flavor to the soup and they have plenty of flavor of their own. Adding too much seasoning would simply overpower the vegetable flavor so keep it fresh and tasty and rest assured that this healthy soup is just as delicious as it is healthy.
This potato and vegetable soup is very satisfying and goes beautifully with warm bread and butter on the side or some hot and crusty bread for dunking. You can use fresh parsley instead of the fresh mint to garnish it or even cilantro. Since you are only using vegetables and garlic to flavor the soup, as well as little salt and pepper, you can use any kind of fresh herb garnish you like and know that it will look and taste good.
The chunky vegetables make this soup look especially appetizing but if you prefer a non-chunky soup, you can blend it for thirty seconds using a hand blender and serve it with a swirl of sour cream on the top as well as the fresh mint sprigs. You can get creative with this recipe. You can substitute any vegetables you want, as long as you give them adequate cooking time, so everything is cooked well and soft.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 yellow zucchini, roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 6 medium potatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 fresh mint sprigs, to garnish
- Heat the butter with the oil on a medium heat in a soup pot or large saucepan.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and zucchini for 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, water, and potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then cover, turn the heat down to low and boil gently until the potatoes are soft.
- This should take around 15 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and serve piping hot with warm, crusty bread and butter on the side.
- Garnish with fresh mint and serve.
As the picture shows, this wonderful vegetable soup is simply yet appealing. The sprig of mint finishes it off perfectly, although you might prefer to puree the soup and serve it with a swirl of cream on top instead; that is up to you. This recipe for vegetable soup is a great way to use up any veggies in the refrigerator which are past their prime and you can put pretty much anything into the soup. You might even like to add a splash of chili sauce to give it a kick although it is also good just as it is and the vegetables give this homemade soup recipe plenty of natural flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358973 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195563 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90953 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52608 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41072 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29450 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26486 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23577 Views)