Grilled Vegetable Soup Recipe
There are literally thousands of ways to make soup and a lot of vegetable soup recipes too. This is a very good recipe for vegetable soup because a selection of delicious, healthy vegetables are blended with chicken stock, cream and herbs. The vegetables are grilled before being added to a food processor and mixed with the other ingredients.
The soup is then cooked for almost an hour, so the vegetable flavors, cream based sauce and herbs can combine well. This soup is great served with some warm crusty bread and butter. This recipe shows that grilled vegetables can be very versatile and grilling them before making soup with them brings out their flavors.
Using colorful ingredients can result in a colorful soup or, in the case of a pureed soup, a richly colored soup in one shade. Some soups puree about two-thirds of the mixture so you do end up with some chunks. If you are using a blender to puree soup you should only fill the blender two-thirds full so puree in batches if need be.
Hand blenders (also known as stick blenders) vary in power and ability but they often tend to miss bits, at least the cheaper ones do, so you might wish to sieve the soup afterwards if you want to be sure it is fully pureed. This soup is macerated in a food processor rather than pureed so it is a bit more texture than the very creamy soups which have been through the blender.
A Recipe for Vegetable Soup Featuring Grilled Vegetables
Summary: A richly flavored soup featuring colorful vegetables which are grilled first for a smoky flavor, this soup also features heavy cream for a luxurious and decadent texture.
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 leek
- 3 summer squash
- 3 cups reduced chicken stock
- 2 fennel bulbs
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 ear of corn
- Salt and black pepper
- Halve the squash, leek and zucchini lengthwise.
- Take the kernels off the corn cob. Cut the eggplant into 2 inch chunks.
- Halve the bell peppers and slice the fennel bulbs into thirds.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the bell pepper, leek, squash, fennel, eggplant and zucchini and grill them until they are softened but not blackened.
- Macerate the grilled vegetables in a food processor and add the warmed chicken stock gradually.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4 quart soup pot.
- Add the cream and herbs.
- Cook for about 50 minutes, then strain the soup and add salt and black pepper to taste.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Colorful veggies such as bell pepper are often used in soups because they offer appealing color. This recipe also uses summer squash, zucchini and eggplant, so you have a range of vegetables which means more dimensions to the flavor as well as a more interesting color. You can see in this picture how the vegetables will look when they are done. See how they look cooked but have not blackened or charred? That is the result you should aim for.
Leave a Reply
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (81585 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53337 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47361 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (30380 Views)
- Home (30056 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (19896 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (18825 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18457 Views)
- Stew Articles (13702 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12357 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11974 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (10052 Views)