Grilled Vegetable Soup Recipe
There are literally thousands of ways to make soup and a lot of vegetable soup recipes too. This is a very good recipe for vegetable soup because a selection of delicious, healthy vegetables are blended with chicken stock, cream and herbs. The vegetables are grilled before being added to a food processor and mixed with the other ingredients.
The soup is then cooked for almost an hour, so the vegetable flavors, cream based sauce and herbs can combine well. This soup is great served with some warm crusty bread and butter. This recipe shows that grilled vegetables can be very versatile and grilling them before making soup with them brings out their flavors.
Using colorful ingredients can result in a colorful soup or, in the case of a pureed soup, a richly colored soup in one shade. Some soups puree about two-thirds of the mixture so you do end up with some chunks. If you are using a blender to puree soup you should only fill the blender two-thirds full so puree in batches if need be.
Hand blenders (also known as stick blenders) vary in power and ability but they often tend to miss bits, at least the cheaper ones do, so you might wish to sieve the soup afterwards if you want to be sure it is fully pureed. This soup is macerated in a food processor rather than pureed so it is a bit more texture than the very creamy soups which have been through the blender.
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 leek
- 3 summer squash
- 3 cups reduced chicken stock
- 2 fennel bulbs
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 ear of corn
- Salt and black pepper
- Halve the squash, leek and zucchini lengthwise.
- Take the kernels off the corn cob. Cut the eggplant into 2 inch chunks.
- Halve the bell peppers and slice the fennel bulbs into thirds.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the bell pepper, leek, squash, fennel, eggplant and zucchini and grill them until they are softened but not blackened.
- Macerate the grilled vegetables in a food processor and add the warmed chicken stock gradually.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4 quart soup pot.
- Add the cream and herbs.
- Cook for about 50 minutes, then strain the soup and add salt and black pepper to taste.
Colorful veggies such as bell pepper are often used in soups because they offer appealing color. This recipe also uses summer squash, zucchini and eggplant, so you have a range of vegetables which means more dimensions to the flavor as well as a more interesting color. You can see in this picture how the vegetables will look when they are done. See how they look cooked but have not blackened or charred? That is the result you should aim for.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (306002 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195478 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90320 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54614 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52383 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40801 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (40765 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (28998 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26299 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23417 Views)