Chinese Hot Beef Noodle Soup Recipe
Beef noodle soup originated in the north of China where wheat was the staple crop. This means that the Chinese have been eating beef with noodles for centuries. This Chinese hot beef noodle soup recipe is delightfully filling and tasty and perfect as an appetizer if served in a small bowl or even a full meal if served more generously!
The key to making excellent beef noodle soup is to use a high standard of beef in the recipe. Thawed imported beef is not recommended. You should use the best beef you can afford to make this Chinese hot beef noodle soup recipe all it can be because of course the beef is one of the key ingredients used here, and so it is important to use something flavorful and tender. This Chinese soup is commonly served from open air street stalls in both China and Taiwan. You can use dry sherry instead of the Chinese rice wine if you like, since this would change the flavor very slightly but still taste very good.
The meat is marinated in a tasty mixture of typical Asian ingredients like soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar, and then it is cooked with some black bean sauce. The garlic, noodles and vegetables then go into the wok, and you can use the same wok for the whole dish as long as it is deep enough to hold the soup. Once all the ingredients are in there, the soup is really taking shape and you will be able to smell the most incredible aroma. The rich smell of the meat and tasty seasonings will be all too apparent and you can expect your mouth to begin watering in anticipation of this fantastic Chinese treat.
- 1 lb beef flank steak
- ½ lb chopped boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 5 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- ½ lb fresh rice noodles
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons oil for stir frying
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 8 oz vegetables (maybe baby corn, mushrooms and snow peas)
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black bean sauce
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- Chopped red chili pepper or sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Cut the flank steak across the grain into ¼ inch thick steaks.
- Add the dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch and chopped boneless chicken breast.
- Leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Cut the rice noodles into ½ inch strips after rinsing them in warm water to loosen.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok and add the beef and chicken until browned.
- Stir in the black bean sauce and heat for a few minutes.
- Remove the meat from the wok.
- Clean out the wok and add another 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the garlic to the hot oil and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the rice noodles and fry until browned.
- Push the rice noodles up one side of the wok and add the rest of the oil.
- Rinse and drain your vegetables if they are canned, or clean and prepare them if fresh.
- Add these vegetables to the hot oil and stir fry briefly before combining with the noodles.
- Stir in the bouillon, oyster sauce, beef and chicken.
- Cook until everything is tender and heated through.
- Add a little more cornstarch if the soup is too thin.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped chili pepper if liked, or even some green onion or cilantro leaves.
This is a delicious, warming soup. The liquid is thick and rich and the beef and chicken offer tender morsels. Add the noodles and vegetables and you have all the components of a fantastic meal. Whether you offer this for lunch or dinner, you can be sure every last drop will be eaten and enjoyed. It is your choice which vegetables to use, and baby corn, mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, or even bok choy are all good choices. Thawed or canned vegetables do not need much cooking time but if you want to use fresh ones they will take a little longer.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357935 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)