Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings
This is a rich and luxurious crock pot beef stew recipe and the herb dumplings add a wonderful texture and flavor to the overall dish. The red wine adds a great flavor and the onions make this one of the most healthy crockpot recipes, which adults and kids alike will adore. It does not make much different to the end results whether you cook this on a low heat or a high heat, as long as you get the timing right. Some people say that using a low heat for a longer time does make the beef a little more tender but crockpot cooking tends to make meat tender whether you use the low or high setting.
There are various recipes for crockpot beef stew, ranging from very simple ones with beef, vegetables and not much else to more elaborate, gourmet-style beef stew recipes with mustard, wine, and homemade dumplings. This crockpot beef stew obviously falls into the latter category and the flavor of this dish is amazing. It is well worth making if you enjoy beef stew recipes or if you are looking for something easy but full-flavored.
You might expect such a sophisticated crockpot beef stew recipe to be more complicated to make than a very simple one but it is actually the same. You just add everything to the slow cooker and leave it to work its magic. As for the dumplings, you just combine the Bisquick with the milk herbs half an hour before end of the beef stew cooking time and drop them into the mixture. That is how simple it is to make a stunning crockpot beef stew recipe.
- 2 lbs top round steak or lean stew beef, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots in ½ inch slices
- 2 onions, sliced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup beef broth or dry red wine
- 8 sliced mushrooms
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups Bisquick
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine the beef, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine or beef broth.
- If you are using wine, use all the salt.
- If you are using beef broth you might not need it depending on the saltiness of the broth so taste it to see.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.
- The vegetables and beef will become tender.
- Combine the flour and water and stir this slowly into the beef stew.
- Combine the Bisquick, thyme, sage and rosemary and stir in the milk until the mixture is just moistened.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough on to the hot beef stew, then cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the herb dumplings comes out clean.
You can see from the photo how tasty these herby homemade dumplings are and they are the perfect accompaniment to such a tasty beef stew recipe. This is quite an aromatic crockpot beef stew, thanks to the thyme, mustard, wine and of course the herbs in the dumplings. It is also fortified with mushrooms for an earthy flavor and the red wine gives this crockpot beef stew a wonderful richness, bringing out the flavor of the meat. This is a very simple recipe, considering how great it tastes. It takes about ten hours to cook on a low heat, so start it early to ensure it is ready by dinnertime.
9 Responses to Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings
Leave a Reply
- Lemon and Bean Soup with Rosemary November 18, 2015
- Crockpot Irish Lamb and Barley Stew November 17, 2015
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon November 16, 2015
- Winter Vegetable Orzo Soup November 15, 2015
- Gourmet Strawberry Gazpacho November 14, 2015
- Crockpot Italian Tomato Soup with Pasta November 13, 2015
- Mint and Cucumber Soup November 12, 2015
- Unusual Parsley Soup with Potatoes November 11, 2015
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup November 10, 2015
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (194944 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (87756 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54373 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (51408 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (39522 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (27124 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (25605 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (21787 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19603 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (19561 Views)