Tender Beef Stew with Potatoes and Red Wine
This delicious stew is ideal for meat-lovers, and you can cook it in the slow cooker too. In fact, the longer you cook it in there the better it gets, so if you are out of the house for 12 hours, give it 12 hours and the meat will be even more tender. If you want to cut the cooking time, it will be done in about 6 hours on high. Cooking it for longer on a lower setting is preferable though, so do that if you have the time.
When the potatoes are tender and the meat is falling apart, it is ready to serve. You can give the stew a stir halfway through the cooking time if you are at home. Bear in mind the taste of the finished dish will not start to come together until near the end of the cooking time, so do not add too much salt and black pepper. You can always add more at the end if need be, but add too much and it will be more difficult to even out the flavor.
You will need to brown the meat in a skillet first, and also sauté the onion and garlic. Add the liquid ingredients to the skillet too and then you can scrape up any browned bits from the pan because these are very tasty. Transfer the whole lot into the crockpot along with the potato and parsley, and then the stew can be cooked for as long as you wish. It is especially good served with sour cream and extra fresh parsley. Crusty bread is also nice with this. If you want to swap half the potato for carrot, that is also very nice. Beef stew is a typical fall or winter meal, but this makes a wonderful main dish during any season, whenever you fancy something hearty and homemade.
- 2 lbs cubed beef stew meat
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 12 oz cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup fresh, chopped parsley
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2½ cups beef broth
- 2 peeled, chopped medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sour cream and chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Toss the beef cubes in this mixture until coated all over.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet and add the beef.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until browned all over, then transfer to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the beef broth and wine to the skillet.
- Scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the skillet using a wooden spoon.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and soup to the skillet, as well as a little more salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Put the potatoes and parsley with the meat in the crockpot.
- Add the wine mixture from the skillet to the crockpot.
- If the meat is not covered, add extra broth.
- Cover and cook for 10 hours on low.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and fresh chopped parsley if liked.
This hearty beef stew boasts a rich and tasty flavor, and it is very easy to make. After browning the beef and sautéing the onions and garlic, you can transfer the ingredients to your crockpot. Cook it on low for 10 to 12 hours, or on high for 6 hours or so. In the photo we have garnished the finished stew with sour cream and fresh parsley, to give it a beautiful presentation. Crusty bread is also great with such a stew. This is a warming dish which is simple to prepare and boasts an incredible flavor. This will impress every member of the family.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357990 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)