Authentic Green Chili Chicken Stew
This green chili chicken stew is inspired by the spicy flavors of Mexico. There is a lot more to Mexican cuisine than some people realize. Soups and stews are a big part of Mexican cooking, so why not learn about these delicious dishes and make them at home? A lot of chicken stew recipes feature a bit of spice to enhance the flavor of the overall dish but this spicy chicken stew recipe has quite a kick to it!
Including such tasty Mexican ingredients as coriander, cumin, sour cream, onion, corn, beans, tomatoes and lime, this chicken stew is ideal for a cold evening. You might like to serve it with rice or with a thick, warm slice of homemade bread and butter for dipping. If you like to make chicken stew recipes and you do not mind a bit of spice; why not try this tasty green chili chicken stew recipe for a taste of Mexico?
Many of the ingredients in this chicken stew, like the olive oil, the peppers, tomatoes and beans, are all very healthy. They are full of fiber, which will help lower cholesterol and they help you to maintain a healthy body. Who says health food cannot taste good? Serve this delicious stew for lunch or dinner. Leftovers are even better, because the flavors have had more time to blend with each other and really create an amazing culinary experience. One of our “Heart Healthy Diet Recipe” choices.
This recipe is part of our “Heart Healthy Diet Recipe” series.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup light or no fat sour cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 hot green chili pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups thawed or fresh corn kernels
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cans (14 ½ oz each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cans Great Northern beans (16 oz) drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, washed and cubed
- Heat the oil in a big pan over a medium high heat and add the garlic and onion.
- Sauté until the onion starts to brown, and then add the chicken and brown all over.
- Add the chopped chili, cumin, tomatoes, coriander, and beans.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and lime. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Serve with the red onion, sour cream, and chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice.
This thick, rich Mexican stew is teeming with typical Mexican flavors such as coriander, cumin, tomatoes and lime juice. Served with either flour or corn tortillas, this recipe makes a wonderful dinner for the whole family. You can cut down on the spices or add extra if you like a piquant taste. This chicken stew is made with a tomato-based sauce and also features green chilies. You can see how rich the sauce is in this photo. This stew does not take much time to put together and it will smell wonderful while it is cooking.
Photo Credit: Spicy Chicken Soup by lynn.gardner, on Flickr
Leave a Reply
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup with Celery December 7, 2014
- Golden Potato Soup with American Cheese December 6, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Celery November 24, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Celery and Red Onion November 23, 2014
- Herby Chicken Soup with Egg Noodles November 22, 2014
- Chicken Curry Soup with Vegetables November 20, 2014
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup November 18, 2014
- Fresh Pumpkin Soup with Warm Spices November 17, 2014
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup November 7, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (85315 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (68912 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54310 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (50066 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (37853 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (24901 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (24797 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (21532 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19535 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (19421 Views)