Authentic Green Chili Chicken Stew
This green chili chicken stew is inspired by the spicy flavors of Mexico. There is a lot more to Mexican cuisine than some people realize. Soups and stews are a big part of Mexican cooking, so why not learn about these delicious dishes and make them at home? A lot of chicken stew recipes feature a bit of spice to enhance the flavor of the overall dish but this spicy chicken stew recipe has quite a kick to it!
Including such tasty Mexican ingredients as coriander, cumin, sour cream, onion, corn, beans, tomatoes and lime, this chicken stew is ideal for a cold evening. You might like to serve it with rice or with a thick, warm slice of homemade bread and butter for dipping. If you like to make chicken stew recipes and you do not mind a bit of spice; why not try this tasty green chili chicken stew recipe for a taste of Mexico?
Many of the ingredients in this chicken stew, like the olive oil, the peppers, tomatoes and beans, are all very healthy. They are full of fiber, which will help lower cholesterol and they help you to maintain a healthy body. Who says health food cannot taste good? Serve this delicious stew for lunch or dinner. Leftovers are even better, because the flavors have had more time to blend with each other and really create an amazing culinary experience. One of our “Heart Healthy Diet Recipe” choices.
This recipe is part of our “Heart Healthy Diet Recipe” series.
Winter Chicken Chili Stew
Summary: This vibrant Mexican chicken stew features typical south of the border ingredients to give you a well-rounded flavor with a creative blend of mouthwatering spices and seasonings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup light or no fat sour cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 hot green chili pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups thawed or fresh corn kernels
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cans (14 ½ oz each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cans Great Northern beans (16 oz) drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, washed and cubed
- Heat the oil in a big pan over a medium high heat and add the garlic and onion.
- Sauté until the onion starts to brown, and then add the chicken and brown all over.
- Add the chopped chili, cumin, tomatoes, coriander, and beans.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and lime. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Serve with the red onion, sour cream, and chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Mexican
This thick, rich Mexican stew is teeming with typical Mexican flavors such as coriander, cumin, tomatoes and lime juice. Served with either flour or corn tortillas, this recipe makes a wonderful dinner for the whole family. You can cut down on the spices or add extra if you like a piquant taste. This chicken stew is made with a tomato-based sauce and also features green chilies. You can see how rich the sauce is in this photo. This stew does not take much time to put together and it will smell wonderful while it is cooking.
Photo Credit: Spicy Chicken Soup by lynn.gardner, on Flickr
Leave a Reply
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (81656 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53358 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47380 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (30463 Views)
- Home (30166 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (19912 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (18840 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18474 Views)
- Stew Articles (13708 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12409 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11979 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (10062 Views)