Classic Brunswick Stew
When it comes to making Brunswick stew, there really is no way that you can go wrong. Every recipe that will tell you how to make Brunswick stew will help you prepare a soup that is delicious and hearty. The simplicity of this dish is what makes it such a popular dish in many parts of the world, and you can easily learn how to fix Brunswick stew by following a simple recipe.
If you want to know how to make a Brunswick stew, it is as simple as looking it up in a cookbook. The recipe of how to fix it is fairly easy to follow, and you can quickly whip up this delicious stew using a few basic ingredients that you can find in any store. Below is a simple recipe that can help you make a delicious Brunswick stew using chicken, a few vegetables, and the very basic spices.
As well as the chicken and vegetables, you will be adding BBQ sauce and oregano, and those ingredients are what give this dish its characteristic flavor. So, what side dish are you going to serve with your homemade stew? The most common dish served with Brunswick stew is cornbread. Traditionally, Southern-style cornbread is the best thing to serve with the Brunswick stew, though you can make any style of cornbread that you want. The most important thing is to have fresh cornbread with plenty of butter to serve with your stew, and you have a meal fit for a king.
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 cup fresh or canned yellow corn
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 lb okra
- 1 stick of celery
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Olive oil and butter, as needed
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- Oregano, as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To begin, slice the chicken into 4 or 8 pieces, as you prefer.
- Add water to a cast iron frying pan, and cook the chicken in a few inches of water (cover the chicken with the water) until thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the skin from the chicken.
- Debone the chicken, and chop it into smaller chunks.
- Make sure not to throw out the water in which the chicken was cooked.
- Heat up the chicken broth in a stew pot, and add the water in which the chicken was cooked.
- As the broth is heating, chop the tomatoes, potatoes, celery, and okra.
- Add the potatoes and tomatoes to the broth, as well as the BBQ sauce, fresh corn, oregano, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let the stew heat until it reaches a rolling boil.
- As the stew is heating, melt a pat of butter in a frying pan, and mix it with the olive oil.
- Add in the onions and celery, and sauté until tender.
- Put the oil in the stew along with the celery and onion, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes has passed, add the okra to the Brunswick stew, and let the stew cook for a few more minutes.
This thick, rich stew is a Southern delicacy. Chicken, vegetables, BBQ sauce and oregano combine for this liquid-rich stew which can be scooped up with a spoon and enjoyed with rice like in the photo or mashed potatoes or cornbread. This is simple to make, a great way to use up chicken and veggies (throw any vegetables in there you want) and you can choose whether to use a mild or spicy BBQ sauce to get the flavor you are looking for. This is comfort food at its best and you will love how rich and hearty it is.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358093 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)