Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine
This is one of the easiest chicken stew recipes to make. It also tastes wonderful, thanks to the excellent combination of wine, mushrooms, and chicken. This dish goes nicely with rice or pasta. Serve it for lunch or dinner. Leftovers are even more delicious the second day, if you even have any left over after everyone has eaten their fill. Fresh bread or rolls go nicely with this delicious stew.
When cooking the chicken stew in the crockpot, make sure you do not boil it accidentally because too much heat will make the meat go tough. Slow cooking it makes the chicken go wonderfully tender and juicy. This chicken stew recipe is nice enough to serve to guests at a dinner party. Just set out the crockpot on the serving table and let your guests help themselves. It works wonderfully for potluck dinners, family gatherings or when you are entertaining.
You can actually use red wine if you prefer. The taste will be slightly different but still very good. The wine adds a nice added depth to the flavor of the sauce. Make sure you cook with a wine that has a flavor you enjoy. Sweet wines add more fruity flavors to the dish, while dryer wines will contribute herbal or woody flavors. Do not just choose any wine off the shelf. Some grocery stores actually have a sommelier to help you choose the wine that will work best for you.
This recipe is part of our “Heart Healthy Diet Recipe” series.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 lb cremini or button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 portobello mushrooms or 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 1 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat a skillet over a medium high heat.
- Add the oil and the chicken thighs and brown them on both sides.
- Remove the chicken and rest.
- Drain most of the fat out of the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and sauté until they release their juices and become golden transfer to crockpot.
- Put the chicken in the crockpot and add the wine, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on a low for about 3 and a half hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
Bursting with wonderful French flavor, this exciting chicken and mushroom dish is slow cooked to perfection. You could cook this in the oven or on the stove but the flavor would not compare, because slow cooking makes it truly wonderful. This is quite a basic recipe, calling for chicken, mushrooms, bouillon, white wine and onion only, but do not underestimate the result because it is so nice. Serve this with potatoes, rice, noodles or even some French bread for a rustic style meal. This is really easy to make and you can leave it to slow cook all day while you are out at work.
5 Responses to Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine
Leave a Reply
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup with Celery December 7, 2014
- Golden Potato Soup with American Cheese December 6, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Celery November 24, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Celery and Red Onion November 23, 2014
- Herby Chicken Soup with Egg Noodles November 22, 2014
- Chicken Curry Soup with Vegetables November 20, 2014
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup November 18, 2014
- Fresh Pumpkin Soup with Warm Spices November 17, 2014
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup November 7, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (83200 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53673 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (48109 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (35107 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (24147 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20608 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19145 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18853 Views)
- Stew Articles (14171 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12889 Views)