Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken Recipe
This Jamaican brown stew chicken recipe is sweet, sticky, tangy, and very Caribbean in flavor. Marinades are big in the Caribbean, and this recipe is no exception. The marinade used in this chicken stew recipe has quite a smoky barbecue flavor and really goes nicely with the chicken and other ingredients. For the best flavor, let the ingredients marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Let the seasonings really saturate the chicken for the best flavors possible.
This recipe is very simple and does not take long to make. Serve this Jamaican brown stew chicken recipe with rice, even though it does contain potatoes. If you prefer, you can eat it on its own or with some bread to sop up all the juices. This dish makes an excellent dinner or lunch. Leftover stew is fabulous the next day after the flavors have had even more time to blend together.
If you like chicken stew recipes and want to try something with a different flavor, this is a very good chicken recipe to try. It is lots of fun to try recipes from other parts of the world and see how they use the same ingredients we have here. It expands our culinary horizons and lets us see into another part of the world without leaving the comfort of our own homes. Sometimes we discover new family favorites and sometimes we don’t, but most of the fun lies in trying something new.
- 3 lb chicken parts
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- Marinate the onions, green bell pepper, green onions, and garlic in the catsup, salt, pepper, and soy sauce overnight or for several hours, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the chicken pieces.
- Add the marinade mixture, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and broth.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat until the meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
- This will take about 20 minutes.
This rich and meaty Jamaican stew showcases the chicken by adding a variety of tasty vegetables, as well as a tomato-based sauce with ketchup, soy sauce, garlic and more for a robust result. Enjoy this with bread like you can see in the photo, or prepare some rice or noodles to go on the size. The stew does contain meat, potatoes and vegetables so if you wish to forget a side dish you can do that, and this is a perfectly substantial one-pot meal served just the way it is. Jamaican food is exotic and exciting, and this is one dish you are going to want to make more than once.
Photo Credit: Coq-au-vin – 14 by Drab Makyo, on Flickr
Leave a Reply
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup with Celery December 7, 2014
- Golden Potato Soup with American Cheese December 6, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Mushrooms and Celery November 24, 2014
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Celery and Red Onion November 23, 2014
- Herby Chicken Soup with Egg Noodles November 22, 2014
- Chicken Curry Soup with Vegetables November 20, 2014
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup November 18, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (83091 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53658 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (48070 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (35003 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (20925 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20563 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19134 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18830 Views)
- Stew Articles (14163 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12871 Views)