Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken Recipe
This Jamaican brown stew chicken recipe is sweet, sticky, tangy, and very Caribbean in flavor. Marinades are big in the Caribbean, and this recipe is no exception. The marinade used in this chicken stew recipe has quite a smoky barbecue flavor and really goes nicely with the chicken and other ingredients. For the best flavor, let the ingredients marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Let the seasonings really saturate the chicken for the best flavors possible.
This recipe is very simple and does not take long to make. Serve this Jamaican brown stew chicken recipe with rice, even though it does contain potatoes. If you prefer, you can eat it on its own or with some bread to sop up all the juices. This dish makes an excellent dinner or lunch. Leftover stew is fabulous the next day after the flavors have had even more time to blend together.
If you like chicken stew recipes and want to try something with a different flavor, this is a very good chicken recipe to try. It is lots of fun to try recipes from other parts of the world and see how they use the same ingredients we have here. It expands our culinary horizons and lets us see into another part of the world without leaving the comfort of our own homes. Sometimes we discover new family favorites and sometimes we don’t, but most of the fun lies in trying something new.
Tangy Brown Stew Chicken
Summary: Sweet and tangy, this Jamaican brown stew boasts chicken, vegetables and typical Caribbean flavors for a one-pot meal which is fragrant, appealing to everyone, and seriously tasty.
- 3 lb chicken parts
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- Marinate the onions, green bell pepper, green onions, and garlic in the catsup, salt, pepper, and soy sauce overnight or for several hours, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the chicken pieces.
- Add the marinade mixture, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and broth.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat until the meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
- This will take about 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Jamaican
This rich and meaty Jamaican stew showcases the chicken by adding a variety of tasty vegetables, as well as a tomato-based sauce with ketchup, soy sauce, garlic and more for a robust result. Enjoy this with bread like you can see in the photo, or prepare some rice or noodles to go on the size. The stew does contain meat, potatoes and vegetables so if you wish to forget a side dish you can do that, and this is a perfectly substantial one-pot meal served just the way it is. Jamaican food is exotic and exciting, and this is one dish you are going to want to make more than once.
Photo Credit: Coq-au-vin – 14 by Drab Makyo, on Flickr
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Stew
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- The Best French Onion Soup Cheese
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- How to Choose the Best Stock Pots
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (71081 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (38496 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (28100 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (24456 Views)
- Home (22487 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17048 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (16761 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (15751 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (9600 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (8814 Views)