Tasty Chicken Stew like Grandma Used to Make
There is something especially soothing and comforting about old-fashioned foods that we remember from our childhood. This old-fashioned chicken stew is very good and it is hearty, too. Just like the one that Grandma used to make, this chicken stew recipe contains plenty of different vegetables such as parsnips and yams as well as egg noodles and plenty of delicious herbs. All of these delicious ingredients add their flavors to the mix, creating a stew you can really write home about.
This is a very filling chicken stew recipe and one generous sized bowl will warm you up from head to toe. This chicken stew recipe uses a few more ingredients and takes a little more work than some other chicken stew recipes but the results are excellent and any guests lucky enough to get this will be counting their blessings. It is definitely worth the effort to make this recipe; you will realize that as soon as you taste it and hear the rave reviews from your family.
Serve it up with homemade buttermilk biscuits or a pan of homemade cornbread with butter. It makes an excellent lunch or dinner. Leftovers can easily be reheated the next day for your enjoyment. It packs well in a lunchbox. It also tastes great as a late night snack. So go ahead, make a pot of chicken stew like Grandma used to make.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 oz mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large squares
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 20 pearl onions
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons whole grain flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 yam or sweet potato, cubed
- Cut the chicken in to pieces and season well with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a big pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and add the garlic, onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the broth, marjoram, parsley, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsnips, potatoes, carrots, chicken and green beans and yams. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer over a medium low heat, covered, for 15 minutes. Cook the noodles in a pot of boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes or until they are al dente. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Combine the flour, water, arrowroot, and a few tablespoons of the hot broth from the chicken stew. Slowly pour this thickening mixture into the stew, stirring all the time. Cook for a few more minutes then remove the stew from the heat and take out the bay leaf. Stir in the sour cream and check the seasonings. Serve the stew over the noodles in individual serving bowls.
Featuring plenty of vegetables for color and appeal, this wonderful chicken stew is just like the one Grandma used to make. The ingredients list is longer than in some recipes but you will agree the flavor is fantastic. Just like chicken noodle soup, old-fashioned chicken stew makes wonderful comfort food. It is excellent for cheering you up and also a nice choice if you are feeling a bit under the weather. Enjoy it hot by itself or with some bread for sopping up all the delicious juices. This recipe is not hard to make and it does not take too long either.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (305469 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195476 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90312 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54614 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52381 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40801 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (40763 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (28998 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26299 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23417 Views)