The Best Seafood Gumbo Base Recipe with Chicken
This amazing meat and seafood gumbo base recipe contains quite a few ingredients but the preparation itself is simple, making this one of the best easy fish recipes to choose if you fancy a full-flavored meal.
Purists might argue that okra and file powder should not both be used in a gumbo recipe but this recipe does contain both. File (pronounced FEE-lay) is a thickening agent and it also adds a nice taste to the finished dish. This powder is made from ground sassafras leaves. Do not add it to the gumbo while it is still cooking though, or it will become stringy. The okra tastes great in the recipe too so never mind the purists – add okra if you like it!
You can use scallops, crawdads or crab instead of the shrimp in this fish gumbo recipe if you prefer. The combination of sausage, chicken, fish, and seafood might sound like a lot of different flavors but the flavors work together; they do not clash at all. Blending the Creole with the Cajun, this delicious gumbo leans slightly more toward Cajun cuisine because it combines chicken with seafood, is more soup-like, and also lacks tomatoes in the recipe. The Southern flavors are pronounced and every goes together beautifully in this classic dish.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ lb boneless chicken thighs
- ½ lb peeled, de-veined shrimp
- ½ lb basa, cod, or halibut filets, in 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ lb chopped okra
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ½ lb Andouille or Kielbasa sausage
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- File powder (optional)
- Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a skillet, and then add the garlic, okra, celery, and bell pepper. Stir fry until the vegetables are tender, and then remove them from the skillet.
- Cook the sausage in the same skillet and remove it when it is done. Add the remaining butter and then cook the chicken thighs for 25 minutes or until they are done. Remove them from the skillet.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the flour to the grease in the skillet. Cook and stir it for 20 minutes, until you have a dark brown roux. Add the water and cooked vegetables and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the broth, chicken, sausage, and bay leaf. Simmer for an hour.
- Cook the rice, following the instructions on the box.
- Add the fish and seafood to the gumbo. Add the hot sauce and seasonings and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Divide the cooked rice between 6 serving bowls, and then ladle the gumbo on top. Sprinkle some file powder into each serving bowl, on top of the gumbo, and stir.
This gumbo recipe might be cooking over an open fire in the picture, but a stove is just as good, especially if it is chilly outside! This amazing gumbo blends the best fish, seafood, and meat with all the other ingredients you would expect in a gumbo recipe, including okra, vegetables, rice, and plenty of mouthwatering seasonings. This is a hearty and warming dish and the fact that it is served over rice makes it a complete meal. This rich, hearty gumbo will make a fantastic dinner if you want to make something a bit different from your usual weekly recipes.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357450 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)