Crockpot Irish Lamb and Barley Stew
A good Irish stew is made with meat, hearty vegetables and little else, with the meat and veggies offering most of the flavor. Here we are using lamb, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, celery, and leeks. Chicken broth (low-sodium if you can get it), thyme and parsley unite to make the soup/sauce element, which some barley adds to the overall appeal and makes it even heartier.
They say a bowlful of Irish stew can cure what ails you, and it is true this stew is served in Ireland when someone is feeling a little under the weather, just like we might make a pot of chicken noodle soup if we believe we are coming down with the sniffles. Irish stew is similar in that it is made with honest, simple ingredients and it is soothing for body and soul. Served with soda bread or just as it is, Irish stew is sure to warm you up and leave you with a smile on your face. This recipe is easy to prepare and it freezes well too for up to a month.
This soup does not require much preparation. Trim any visible pieces of fat off the lamb leg and then chop it up. Peel and chop the potato and carrot, and clean the leeks. Leeks can be fiddly to clean, but the easiest way is to trim and discard the white root and green top. Now split the leeks lengthwise and then submerge them in a bowl of water, swishing them around to release any soil or sand trapped between the layers. You can then cut them into small slices. The other ingredients can simply be added to the slow cooker as they are.
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 1½ lbs boneless lamb leg, in 1-inch pieces
- 1¾ lbs peeled potatoes, in 1-inch pieces
- 3 peeled carrots, in 1-inch pieces
- 2 large leeks, white part only, halved then thinly sliced
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 thinly sliced celery stalks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Put the broth, lamb, potatoes, carrots, leeks, barley, cabbage, thyme, celery, salt and black pepper in a 6-quart crockpot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 10 hours on low, or until the barley and lamb are tender.
- Stir in the parsley and serve hot.
This delicious Irish stew is made with lamb, vegetables and barley, and a bowlful of this is sure to relieve whatever ails you and soothe all your troubles away. All you need to do after dicing the ingredients is dump everything in the crockpot, give it a good stir, and then you can cook it until the barley and lamb are fork-tender. Serve this just as it is or with some soda bread. Maybe you never made Irish stew before, in which case you will be thrilled to discover such an easy, authentic Irish stew recipe. You may use beef instead of lamb if you like.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (366383 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195580 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (91099 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54682 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52678 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41140 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40876 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29563 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26521 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23605 Views)