Marmitako Recipe – A Traditional Basque Tuna Stew
The Basque region of Spain is home to various exciting fish recipes and marmitako is one of the most delicious. “Marmita” is the name of the casserole dish the stew is cooked in and adding “-ko” on the end means “from the pot.” Most Basque dishes are cooked in a pot but only the following tuna recipe has this special name.
Marmitako used to be cooked on fishing boats but it is also served in lots of Basque Country restaurants. Sometimes this dish is made with salmon but tuna is the traditional fish used. The stew is thick, especially when the potatoes are split open, since this releases more starch into the dish and thickens the sauce up. If you want to make this recipe in advance, make it up until where you are supposed to add the fish and the reheat it the following day and add the fish.
This recipe features yellowfin tuna but you can use another kind of tuna filet or tuna steak for this. Thawed tuna is fine. Actually most tuna is flash-frozen because that kills bacteria. Thawed tuna is just as good as fresh tuna and you can easily find this fish in the grocery store. The carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, and onions add nutrients and the chilies, red pepper flakes, wine, parsley, and bay leaf add a wonderful flavor to this delicious Spanish tuna recipe.
- ¾ lb yellowfin tuna, in ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb peeled, cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped, de-seeded Anaheim chilies
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a big pot over a moderate heat.
- Add the carrot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the bell pepper, chilies and onion and cook for 15 minutes or until everything is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, and potatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the wine, salt, broth and red pepper flakes, stirring well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and tuna and toss the mixture for 2 minutes or until the tuna changes color.
- Divide the marmitako between 4 bowls and serve with crusty bread to mop up the wonderful juices.
This richly flavored hoki and mussel soup is easy to make and you can switch any firm-fleshed fish for the hoki. The fennel and zucchini add nutrients, although you could switch these for other vegetables if you prefer. The tomato and basil sauce gives the soup a good base as well as a nice, reddish color. This simple soup recipe does not call for many ingredients but the flavor is well balanced and hearty. If you are looking for the best easy fish recipes this one is definitely worth making. Once you have prepared the ingredients, the soup itself will be ready is under ten minutes, which is good news if you want something both fast and easy.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357990 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)