An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
A long time ago, people did use oxtails to make stews and meat. Today we use the tails of cattle or beef. You can cut the oxtail up in to smaller pieces for boiling. This type of meat although very bony can provide you with a wonderfully robust and flavorful beef flavor. It makes a great tasting beef stock for various types of recipes including soups and stews. However, you can use it for other recipes.
You might even want to consider cooking oxtails in the crockpot too since long slow braising brings out the best in this type of meat. After you cook the meat, you can use the broth in just about any type of beef recipe. For instance, you might enjoy a great tasting and hearty homemade stew. Here we can help you learn how to make oxtail stew. You will also be including some vegetables to this stew.
For instance, you will add some sliced or diced potatoes, diced carrots, tomatoes, and green beans. However, if you prefer you can always adapt this recipe to suit your sense of flavor and taste. Keep in mind that while you make this stew recipe, you can use other types of meat for the stock. For instance, stew meat, beef neck, beef shank, short ribs, or even meaty veal cuts will do just as well. It all just depends on what you like, and the ingredients you have available to you, while you are making homemade stew recipes.
- 2 pound oxtails
- 4 or 5 cups flour
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 1 large can beef broth
- 4 large sliced or diced potatoes
- 4 large diced carrots
- 1 large can green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the oxtails into lengths of about 1 ½ inches. Coat the oxtail meat with the flour. You can do this by rolling the meat in the flour or adding the flour to a plastic storage bag and then adding the meat. Shake to cover meat with flour.
- Add the oil to a large skillet or saucepan. Add the coated meat and then cook until browned. Stir in the chopped onions, tomatoes with liquid, and beef broth. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 2 hours.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, green beans, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine and then replace the lid. Allow this mixture to simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat, skim off the fat content. You can thicken the broth if you like by adding just a small amount of corn starch and combining well before serving if you like.
Are you about ready for a hearty and healthy homemade meal? If you are, then you should consider making one of the oldest types of comfort foods. Stew recipes are wonderful when you want something that is tasty and filling as well as healthy for you. You want the best for your family so; why not learn how to make this delicious oxtail stew recipe. Just imagine the satisfied looks on the faces of your family while enjoying a great stew full of potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and green beans. Stew recipes are definitely one of the best types of comfort foods to serve to those you know and love.
One Response to An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (366275 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195580 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (91099 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54681 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52677 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41140 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40876 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29563 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26521 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23603 Views)