An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
A long time ago, people did use oxtails to make stews and meat. Today we use the tails of cattle or beef. You can cut the oxtail up in to smaller pieces for boiling. This type of meat although very bony can provide you with a wonderfully robust and flavorful beef flavor. It makes a great tasting beef stock for various types of recipes including soups and stews. However, you can use it for other recipes.
You might even want to consider cooking oxtails in the crockpot too since long slow braising brings out the best in this type of meat. After you cook the meat, you can use the broth in just about any type of beef recipe. For instance, you might enjoy a great tasting and hearty homemade stew. Here we can help you learn how to make oxtail stew. You will also be including some vegetables to this stew.
For instance, you will add some sliced or diced potatoes, diced carrots, tomatoes, and green beans. However, if you prefer you can always adapt this recipe to suit your sense of flavor and taste. Keep in mind that while you make this stew recipe, you can use other types of meat for the stock. For instance, stew meat, beef neck, beef shank, short ribs, or even meaty veal cuts will do just as well. It all just depends on what you like, and the ingredients you have available to you, while you are making homemade stew recipes.
- 2 pound oxtails
- 4 or 5 cups flour
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 1 large can beef broth
- 4 large sliced or diced potatoes
- 4 large diced carrots
- 1 large cans green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the oxtails into lengths of about 1 ½ inches. Coat the oxtail meat with the flour. You can do this by rolling the meat in the flour or adding the flour to a plastic storage bag and then adding the meat. Shake to cover meat with flour.
- Add the oil to a large skillet or saucepan. Add the coated meat and then cook until browned. Stir in the chopped onions, tomatoes with liquid, and beef broth. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 2 hours.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, green beans, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine and then replace the lid. Allow this mixture to simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat, skim off the fat content. You can thicken the broth if you like by adding just a small amount of corn starch and combining well before serving if you like.
Are you about ready for a hearty and healthy homemade meal? If you are, then you should consider making one of the oldest types of comfort foods. Stew recipes are wonderful when you want something that is tasty and filling as well as healthy for you. You want the best for your family so; why not learn how to make this delicious oxtail stew recipe. Just imagine the satisfied looks on the faces of your family while enjoying a great stew full of potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and green beans. Stew recipes are definitely one of the best types of comfort foods to serve to those you know and love.
One Response to An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Split Pea Soup with Turkey October 30, 2014
- Mouthwatering Matzo Ball Soup October 26, 2014
- Caribbean Chicken Soup Recipe October 22, 2014
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Barley October 21, 2014
- Colorful Chicken and Bell Pepper Soup October 20, 2014
- Chicken and White Bean Soup October 16, 2014
- Aromatic Hot and Sour Chicken Soup October 15, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (82733 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53596 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47925 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (32561 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20366 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19080 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18746 Views)
- Stew Articles (13828 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12836 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (12125 Views)