Romantic Valentine’s Black Cherry Soup
This unusual soup is made with black cherries. We are using the pits and stems for flavor, so you will need whole unpitted cherries on the stalks to make this soup. This is ideal for Valentine’s day. Cherries are believed to be an aphrodisiac and this soup is a pretty shade of pink, so it looks and tastes seductive. Use fresh, ripe black cherries to make it.
If you can get German cherry syrup where you live, you can use that instead of the sugar in the recipe. You can also swap the sour cream for crème fraiche. So is this an appetizer or a dessert? Well honestly it is your choice. Who says an appetizer has to be savory anyway? Most people would have it for dessert but if you prefer to start the meal with this, then go right ahead. This recipe makes 2 generous servings or 4 small ones. Serve this to your loved one on Valentine’s Day or enjoy it as a refreshing dessert on a warm summer’s day instead.
Making this soup is very easy but it will take a bit of time because you need to begin by removing the pits and stalks from the cherries. Hold on to them though because they are going into the soup. Added flavor comes from the cinnamon, wine and lemon. This soup also has a splash of brandy in it for exquisite flavor, along with sour cream to make it soft and velvety. The flavor is well balanced and really showcases the appeal of black cherries. If you are looking for unusual Valentine’s Day ideas, bookmark this recipe and come back to it nearer the time. Your loved one is sure to be surprised and delighted that you took the time to make this wonderful treat. If you have never had a dessert soup before, this one is highly recommended.
- 1½ lbs unpitted ripe black cherries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ⅔ cup fruity white wine
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1¼ cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Remove the pits (stones) from the cherries and also the stems.
- Put half the pits in a clean towel and crush them with a mallet.
- Keep the other half as they are.
- Put the crushed pits in a pan with the whole pits and stems, cinnamon, wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, water and sugar.
- Bring the soup to a boil over a moderate heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Put the liquid back in the pan.
- Stir in a cup of sour cream and ¾ of the cherries.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours then whisk in the brandy.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with the remaining sour cream and reserved cherries.
This black cherry soup is unique and special. We are using black cherries here, along with lemon, white wine, cinnamon, sour cream, and brandy. You can see the soup is garnished with whole cherries along with some sour cream. You can even add a sprig of fresh herbs if you wish. To make the cream pattern you see in the picture, add the cream in a dollop in the middle, then use the tip of a sharp knife to drag through it outwards. That makes a nice pattern. From this German cherry soup you can expect a velvety-smooth texture and a sweet, fruity flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357943 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)